Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Appliances (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   ISO Opinions On Which New Refrigerator To Purchase (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/iso-opinions-on-which-new-refrigerator-to-purchase-94078.html)

Kaneohegirlinaz 10-18-2015 04:54 PM

ISO Opinions On Which New Refrigerator To Purchase
 
So, going along with the thread that I started on purchasing a new Gas Range, I am going to need a `fridge too.
This is NOT part of our new build; we must provide our own.
Our friends that live in this new part of Arizona that we will be moving to, are just finishing up a kitchen remodel and Mrs. DF fell in love with a GE French Door Refrigerator in the new slate color, just like Kayelle went for.
I LOVE that the french door models give you that wide expanse for larger trays.
Here's a concern that I have:
DH wants the water and ice from the door option and from what I'm reading about the french door models, this will take away from the `fridge space.

I would love to get everyone's feedback on purchasing a new refrigerator.
French door
Side By Side
`fridge on top/freezer on the bottom

I'M SO CONFUSED :doh:

cinisajoy 10-18-2015 05:50 PM

I know this will sound like a strange question but what is the mineral content of the water where you are moving?

Here it isn't worth hooking up the water and ice.

Kayelle 10-18-2015 06:12 PM

Actually Kgirl, we couldn't get the slate french door one because we wouldn't be able to open the left door completely next to the breakfast bar. They didn't offer a big enough bottom drawer freezer with a one door refrigerator so we got a black Maytag with SS handles that we're very happy with. I personally wouldn't choose any fridge with the water and ice in the door because our water is lousy and and it takes a huge amount of room inside. I don't even want an ice maker inside because of the water. We have a free standing small ice maker in the garage so we can use bottled water to make ice. We refill a basket in the freezer from there. It's actually an ideal set up for us.

I know what you mean CJ..our tap water has so much mineral content, we call it "chunky".

GotGarlic 10-18-2015 06:34 PM

I have a Maytag French door refrigerator and I love it. I have never had a side-by-side and I would never want one. There just isn't enough space for my needs.

We didn't get one with the water and ice dispenser because it takes up a lot of space inside and the salesman said it's a major reason for service calls.

Kaneohegirlinaz 10-18-2015 06:45 PM

Fab guys, thanks for your respones.

Could I ask that everyone also post the make and model?
This would greatly assist me, mahalo in advance :smile:

tenspeed 10-18-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinisajoy (Post 1440916)
I know this will sound like a strange question but what is the mineral content of the water where you are moving?

That is not a strange question. If you look at Consumers Reports, ice makers are one of the major sources of service issues, as GG has already noted.

cinisajoy 10-18-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1440919)
Actually Kgirl, we couldn't get the slate french door one because we wouldn't be able to open the left door completely next to the breakfast bar. They didn't offer a big enough bottom drawer freezer with a one door refrigerator so we got a black Maytag with SS handles that we're very happy with. I personally wouldn't choose any fridge with the water and ice in the door because our water is lousy and and it takes a huge amount of room inside. I don't even want an ice maker inside because of the water. We have a free standing small ice maker in the garage so we can use bottled water to make ice. We refill a basket in the freezer from there. It's actually an ideal set up for us.

I know what you mean CJ..our tap water has so much mineral content, we call it "chunky".

I think we have water flavored limestone.
I noticed something. You are in California and I am in west Texas. It appears that the OP is moving between us. I guess my water question was very appropriate.

I know we have to buy water and ice.

Souschef 10-18-2015 07:14 PM

The part number for ours is Maytag MBF2258DEE. This also came from Home Depot. We love the cheese and lunch meat drawer below the crispers that extends the whole width of the refrigerator.
The refrigerator is 33 inches wide and 22+cubic feet.

Kaneohegirlinaz 10-18-2015 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinisajoy (Post 1440928)
I think we have water flavored limestone.
I noticed something. You are in California and I am in west Texas. It appears that the OP is moving between us. I guess my water question was very appropriate.

I know we have to buy water and ice.

CJ we are moving from Southern Arizona to Northern Arizona, I haven't check that city's water reports as yet, but I'll add that to my ever lengthening list :wink:

Kaneohegirlinaz 10-18-2015 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Souschef (Post 1440930)
The part number for ours is Maytag MBF2258DEE. This also came from Home Depot. We love the cheese and lunch meat drawer below the crispers that extends the whole width of the refrigerator.
The refrigerator is 33 inches wide and 22+cubic feet.

Souschef, that's a honey for sure! Mahalo


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.