Howdy from an old Texan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike1951

Assistant Cook
Decades ago, I could manage boiling spaghetti with store bought sauce and I could manage Hamburger Helper. Since then, I've lived off fast food, sandwiches, and canned goods.

So at 64, with type 2 diabetes (usually under control) and stage 3 chronic kidney disease (doesn't appear to be getting worse), and needing to control sodium intake, I figured I would try to pick up a few things.

I'm no longer in my home and couldn't bring many things with me. Right now, I have a 600 watt microwave, a B&D toaster over, a 2-slice toaster, a 12" electric skillet, and a coffee pot. I've ordered, but not received, a basic programmable Crock Pot. I might eventually pick up a hot plate and a pot or two.

I can fry sausage or bacon and can manage scrambled eggs. My recent attempts at Hamburger Helper didn't go well, as I couldn't crumble the meat well enough. I didn't use to have that problem. I read the tip about using a potato masher, but must have bought the wrong kind (Oxo) which left me with a solid slab of cooked meat that I had to pull apart with forks. I've ordered one of the wire types and will try again, since many of the slow cooker recipes require browning first.

Basically, if anything called for combining more than two ingredients, it has been beyond me. So I'm totally unskilled and will begin experimenting more with the skillet and slow cooker.

Will have plenty of questions. TIA

Welcome to DC! 64 is not old.

Have a look around, we have a subforum for special diets, including diabetic cooking (no, we don't cook diabetics), and many of us try to limit sodium.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right, but when I could prepare it, it was the closest thing to 'home cooking' available to me.

I have a similar one from Pampered Chef. It has five lobes, and works like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom