What Do You Guys Think? Hobart N-50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

choclatechef

Washing Up
I have been debating this issue for years.

You all know I have a Hobart N-50 mixer -- first run off the line, made in October 1947 and I love it. It works like a charm, though its battleship gray paint is battered, chipped, and rough.

My question is this. Would it hurt the re-sale or collectible value of the machine [it is one of the first N-50s made] if I had it professionally renovated and painted?

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Choc, I've seen Antiques Roadshow about a thousand times (which makes me an expert, right? :LOL: ) and it seems that it's almost always best to leave an item in its present condition rather than to restore it. I'm curious to hear what other people have to say.

Interesting question, Choc.

I think Damp is right ... as a collectible item you don't want to make any changes to it. Of course, especially since it is an electrical appliance, you wouldn't want to use it either ... just sit it somewhere as a display piece.

As for re-sale value as an everyday working tool, not as a collectible - then a good paint job would probably help it bring more than in it's current condition.

Of course, knowing how you feel about that N-50, the only way anyone is going to get it away from you is either at gunpoint or when they pry it from your cold dead fingers.

You sure have me pegged Mike! I will love that mixer forever.

I still don't know what I should do. I want to use it, but I don't want to ruin it's value either......too many choices!

I need more opinions....

choclatechef said:
You sure have me pegged Mike! I will love that mixer forever.

I still don't know what I should do. I want to use it, but I don't want to ruin it's value either......too many choices!

I need more opinions....

Choc:

Why don't you see if you can find out if it HAS any value. If it's worth $4.25 whether it's painted or not, the decision is easy-keep it! On the other hand, if it's worth $425,000.00, sell the sucker and buy a new one.

If you couldn't part with it because you, "will love that mixer forever", do what you must to keep the paint from chipping into the food you prepare and keep on truckin'.

Andy M. said:
Choc:

Why don't you see if you can find out if it HAS any value. If it's worth $4.25 whether it's painted or not, the decision is easy-keep it! On the other hand, if it's worth $425,000.00, sell the sucker and buy a new one.

That's the problem Andy. You never see a first run N-50 on Ebay [well I haven't seen one in 5 or 6 years], so I don't know if it is worth anything more for collectible's sake than for its value as a mixer.

I have googled my eyes out for months.....no info. :(

What would you do?

I recommend that you take the unit to a Hobart service center, and have it checked out and serviced first. Then, study Hobart's prices for a new bowl, dough hook, flat beater, and wire wisk. You'll have use of your mixer then, and you'll also have a new bowl and attachments to use. You can keep the old attachments to preserve its value, if you feel the need to. Hobart has been making this model for years, and has been servicing it for years, and little has changed in its design from the looks of it. You can, in fact, probably still get parts for it.

I have seen old Hobart N-50s sell for around $250.00 on EBay, in unrestored condition. Others end up restored to a like-new condition, with original factory-spec decals, and then go for around $800.00. If you can have it restored to an original finish, complete with original decals, then I would say it may be worth more because it would be preserved and in service. A KitchenAid Model G is also usually worth more restored if it's done correctly and to the manufacturers specifications.

Here is some more information to look at: If you go to www.mixerfixer.com, you will see that the prices are considerably higher for a unit that was restored, then it was before it was worked on. A Hamilton Beach Model B is selling for $525.00 there, yet was most likely acquired for less then $75.00. A KitchenAid Model 3B is going for $275.00, yet they have been found in as-used condition for less then $50.00. The fact is, none of these machines where new when the restorer acquired them. They were sold as antiques. Another site to consider is www.decodan.com. DecoDan has had some of his restored mixers featured on major publications, so he may have a long waiting list. There are many antique mixers out there. And there are far more Hobart N-50s then there are KitchenAid Model Gs. Both the KitchenAid Model Gs and Hobart N-50s are still in service, and they are likely to outlast most of us.

MrCoffee

Mr. C. you have done it again.

Now that is what I am talking about! Real good information upon which to base my decision on!

"I have seen old Hobart N-50s sell for around $250.00 on EBay, in unrestored condition. Others end up restored to a like-new condition, with original factory-spec decals, and then go for around $800.00. If you can have it restored to an original finish, complete with original decals, then I would say it may be worth more because it would be preserved and in service. A KitchenAid Model G is also usually worth more restored if it's done correctly and to the manufacturers specifications."

But I have been using my mixer even without worrying about having it checked out by anybody.... but having it checked out and getting new attachments is a very good idea!

The more I get to know you Mr. C., the more I respect you.

I think you should whip me up a batch of biscuits in that Hobart, choc. I'd be happy to pick any chips of extraneous non-edible stuff out!

mudbug said:
I think you should whip me up a batch of biscuits in that Hobart, choc. I'd be happy to pick any chips of extraneous non-edible stuff out!

Thanks mud! :chef:

But the paint has chipped not peeled, so your assistance, though welcome is not necessary. Nothing falls in the food.:-p

My poor little Mothership Connection mixer just looks like she has measles or chicken pox. :ohmy:

And how did you know I was thinking about making a huge batch of biscuits for the freezer in the next few days? :LOL:

You sweet mind reader you.

[Edited because I got confused.

The Hobart N-50 is the Mothership Connection.

The Commercial Kitchenaid 5 qt is the Badmammajamma!]

Last edited:
Whether you make the best biscuits now is uncertain. What is certain, with a light touch on the dough, you will.....

Thanks for the kudos....

Back
Top Bottom