Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Sauces, Marinades, Rubs (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Storing Vanilla Extract (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f19/storing-vanilla-extract-94253.html)

GA Home Cook 11-10-2015 10:49 AM

Storing Vanilla Extract

Not sure I put this where it goes, but I could not find a listing for flavorings.

I had a friend tell me yesterday that she stores her Vanilla Extract, and all flavorings, in the fridge. I looked on my bottle that I just bought last week at Costco and no mention of storing in the fridge. What do you guys do?

Aunt Bea 11-10-2015 11:08 AM

I make my own using 80 proof booze and vanilla beans.

I store it and other commercially made extracts in a cool dark cupboard.

A fifth of vanilla extract lasts me two or three years and it never has been a problem.

If you want to try making your own take a fifth of good vodka, bourbon or rum and add two or three vanilla beans, that have been split lengthwise, into the bottle of booze. Store it in a cool dark place and give the bottle a good shake every time you see it. In about six months you can start using it in place of commercially made vanilla extract.

Andy M. 11-10-2015 11:12 AM

In a cupboard. No need to refrigerate.

cinisajoy 11-10-2015 11:20 AM

In the cupboard with the rest of the extracts.

Roll_Bones 11-10-2015 11:31 AM

Good question since the bottle from Costco is quite large. My wife just keeps it in the pantry. I think the fridge might be a very good idea.
Now, for spices that I get from Costco that also come in large containers. They go into the fridge.

cinisajoy 11-10-2015 11:32 AM

If my mom buys extracts in plastic bottles, she transfers them to glass bottles.

GotGarlic 11-10-2015 12:04 PM

I do like Aunt Bea. There is no reason to refrigerate extracts. They're just alcohol and flavoring. Ground spices are different; over time, they will lose the essential oils that provide flavor. Whole spices will last practically forever.

jennyema 11-10-2015 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotGarlic (Post 1443391)
I do like Aunt Bea. There is no reason to refrigerate extracts. They're just alcohol and flavoring. Ground spices are different; over time, they will lose the essential oils that provide flavor. Whole spices will last practically forever.

This! :chef:

taxlady 11-10-2015 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt Bea (Post 1443380)
I make my own using 80 proof booze and vanilla beans.

I store it and other commercially made extracts in a cool dark cupboard.

A fifth of vanilla extract lasts me two or three years and it never has been a problem.

If you want to try making your own take a fifth of good vodka, bourbon or rum and add two or three vanilla beans, that have been split lengthwise, into the bottle of booze. Store it in a cool dark place and give the bottle a good shake every time you see it. In about six months you can start using it in place of commercially made vanilla extract.

It only takes two or three beans? I think I'll give it a try. Does that turn out about the same strength as the commercially made vanilla?

GotGarlic 11-11-2015 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 1443442)
It only takes two or three beans? I think I'll give it a try. Does that turn out about the same strength as the commercially made vanilla?

Oh yes. Better, in fact, imo. I found a vanilla extract kit at TJ Maxx a couple years ago - three Madagascar Bourbon vanilla beans and a pretty bottle for $7.99.

I bought some inexpensive vodka and combined them. I split and scraped the vanilla beans into the decorative bottle, added the vodka, and shook them every few days for a few months. It's delicious in my baked goods :yum: And from what I've read, as you use it, you can just add more vodka and reuse the same beans for several years.