Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Dinner Tuesday, 11-10-2015 (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/dinner-tuesday-11-10-2015-a-94256.html)

Cooking Goddess 11-10-2015 03:32 PM

Dinner Tuesday, 11-10-2015
 
I made a pot of creamy chicken and wild rice soup last night while I was making our Monday meal. All I need to do is warm it up. :w00t: Thinking of making a wedge-type salad, and definitely making cheesy garlic bread to go with the soup since I doubled-down on the butter/garlic/parsley yesterday. The version with the cheddar cheese was yummy with the ham yesterday, but today's version will have some parm mixed into the butter, and a topping of mozz melted on top.

What's cooking in your kitchen? Or take-out? Take-out's good. :yum:

tenspeed 11-10-2015 04:00 PM

Leftover sweet and sour beef stew from a couple of days ago, along with a green salad.

Whiskadoodle 11-10-2015 04:03 PM

We stopped for lunch while out running errands today. I brought home a half grilled pastrami reuben from a deli. That should re heat up and get crispy again and will add a spoonful or two of the black eyed pea salad I made yesterday.

Andy M. 11-10-2015 04:13 PM

Dinner Tuesday, 11-10-2015
 
I saved half the minestrone I made last week. That and some crusty bread with butter will do the trick.

cinisajoy 11-10-2015 04:29 PM

Pork chops and not sure what else.

Dawgluver 11-10-2015 04:30 PM

We have some spelunked broccoli beer cheese soup left, probably will have that with Tater Tots.

Lance Bushrod 11-10-2015 04:59 PM

I was a splunker at one time. :biggrin:

Tonight it's BLT's and breaded parsnips.

Aunt Bea 11-10-2015 05:19 PM

A stuffed BSCB wrapped in bacon and a salad.

creative 11-10-2015 05:48 PM

I made a kind of chicken 'risotto'- but using pot barley instead of risotto rice with a concentrated chicken stock. Pieces of cooked organic chicken, halved brussel sprouts and cauliflower all added into it when it was done.

Addie 11-10-2015 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenspeed (Post 1443413)
Leftover sweet and sour beef stew from a couple of days ago, along with a green salad.

Oh dear! I need a vacation or a trip to the home real fast. I read that as "Leftover sweat".

After that I am not eating supper. I am on a cleaning binge and can't stop. :angel:

salt and pepper 11-10-2015 08:34 PM

Rib-eye w/rice & veg..


http://www.discusscooking.com/attach...1792d4d3db.jpg

Cheryl J 11-10-2015 09:28 PM

Mmm...looks good, Joey. :yum: I've been craving a rib eye but am determined to use what I've got in the freezer for the next week or so. Good sounding dinners all around here tonight!

Throw together burrito for dinner here this evening. I used the last vacuum sealed bag of pulled pork, refried beans and rice from the freezer, and doctored it up with a little shredded pepper jack, sour cream, and salsa verde. I'm stuffed.

Caslon 11-10-2015 09:54 PM

I just got home from shopping. I'm tired, so I'm just going to microwave some frozen chili cheese dogs. Bought 2 petite sirloin roasts to freeze. It was Buy One Get One Free. So I bought a 1 pounder for $13 and got the other 1 pounder for free! I also bought a ham steak to cut up into cubes to mix with white sauce and peas (sorta like chipped beef meal), but all the stores I went to today don't stock any dry mix packets of White Sauce, damnit. I'm not even sure what White Sauce is, but it's what I use to use for that simple dish. I'll keep looking.

P.S. I found some off the wall supermarket that had super thin wide slices of Bottom Round to use for beef jerky. Just $5 for a pound and I don't have to slice a roast! Needless to say, I'm going back to that place for more jerky meat.

Cheryl J 11-10-2015 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caslon (Post 1443436)
I just got home from shopping. I'm tired, so I'm just going to microwave some frozen chili cheese dogs. Bought 2 petite sirloin roasts to freeze. It was Buy One Get One Free. So I bought a 1 pounder for $13 and got the other 1 pounder for free! I also bought a ham steak to cut up into cubes to mix with white sauce and peas (sorta like chipped beef meal), but all the stores I went to today don't stock any dry mix packets of White Sauce, damnit. I'm not even sure what White Sauce is, but it's what I use to use for that simple dish. I'll keep looking.

Caslon, it's a mother sauce, or béchamel. Super easy.

Melt 2 TBL butter in a saucepan, add 2 TBL flour and whisk over med heat till blended. Reduce heat, slowly pour in 1 cup of milk, stirring constantly till thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste, a little cayenne...whatever you'd like. You can add shredded cheese for a nice cheese sauce, too. :smile:

taxlady 11-10-2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheryl J (Post 1443438)
Caslon, it's a mother sauce, or béchamel. Super easy.

Melt 2 TBL butter in a saucepan, add 2 TBL flour and whisk over med heat till blended. Reduce heat, slowly pour in 1 cup of milk, stirring constantly till thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste, a little cayenne...whatever you'd like. You can add shredded cheese for a nice cheese sauce, too. :smile:

I like to cook the roux a bit longer than that, but at low heat so it doesn't turn brown. I can't stand the taste of the flour if it hasn't been cooked long enough.

GotGarlic 11-10-2015 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 1443439)
I like to cook the roux a bit longer than that, but at low heat so it doesn't turn brown. I can't stand the taste of the flour if it hasn't been cooked long enough.

Agreed.

$13 a pound for sirloin! Wow! Can't remember the last time I paid that much for beef.

GotGarlic 11-10-2015 11:18 PM

I was hoping to go to a master gardener lecture tonight, but it didn't work out, so we had leftovers. I had a pork chop and roasted potatoes and DH had shrimp curry with rice.

taxlady 11-10-2015 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a pork loin roast, rubbed with a puree of sun dried tomato, garlic, salt and EVOO. I forgot the rosemary. Darn, I knew I was forgetting something. Well it still turned out yummy. Served it with rřdkĺl, tossed salad, potatoes and gravy/sauce.

Cheryl J 11-10-2015 11:26 PM

Looks and sounds delicious, Taxy. :yum:

taxlady 11-10-2015 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheryl J (Post 1443446)
Looks and sounds delicious, Taxy. :yum:

Thanks Cheryl. It's going to make good cold cuts too. :pig:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.