Dinner Thread - Tuesday, Nov 24th, 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Weather is getting chilly, which means soup will be on the table more often. Tonight we're having Gulyassuppe (or Goulash Soup). I make it using my great aunt's recipe, which calls for pork and cabbage.

img_1445098_0_7aad35c4ce391e0e95fe84c836dcd26e.jpg

Nice soup, Steve! I'd planned on tuna casserole for tonight, but DH brought home a huge tuna sub for lunch, and we have half left. Guess we'll nosh on that.

Smoked sausage, left over potatoes, sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts in cheese sauce with a fruit salad for dessert.

That's my idea of soup Steve. Yet another soup for low carb eating!

We're having the recently discussed Chili Relleno casserole, only this time I'm adding browned chopped up Spam Chorizo to the mix.
I'll do some Mexican rice for the Sous Chef.

Stuffed red bell peppers, which I don't think I've made in at least a quarter century. Mashed potatoes and broc. Comfort food night, now that it's getting cold. Wife liked it, so I guess I'll have to do it again before the spring thaw.

Good looking soup, Steve!

I spent all day at my daughter and SIL's house watching Tyler while they were at work, so dinner this evening will be something very quick and easy. I'm thinking a grilled ham and cheese, or maybe scrambled eggs and toast.

Good looking soup, Steve!

I spent all day at my daughter and SIL's house watching Tyler while they were at work, so dinner this evening will be something very quick and easy. I'm thinking a grilled ham and cheese, or maybe scrambled eggs and toast.

I almost misread your post as green eggs and ham.

We had Italian sausage and pasta with pesto. The Italian sausage was organic and oh my goodness yummy. It claimed to be hot, but there was just a hint of heat.

Steve, that's an interesting looking soup. Sadly, I'm not a fan of cabbage in my soup, any kind of soup. Happily, all four recipe versions I saw online omitted it. I guess your aunt created her own special version.

Cleaned out most of the leftovers to make room for my wide variety of Thanksgiving sides. Himself finished the last little bits of last night's jambalaya, and also the last few mouthfuls of chicken soup with noodles. I had about half the leftover beef with gravy and served it up over mashed potatoes, then had a banana and called that my veggie.

Last edited:
When I made lasagna last weekend, I made three small ones: one to eat Saturday, one to leave in the freezer for my FIL, and one for us to bring home. The one we brought home in the cooler thawed on the way back and I didn't want to freeze it again, so we had it last night with salad and garlic bread.

My daughter is home from college so she wanted Eggplant and spinach lasagna. Destroyed my effort to eat low carb. I was too lazy to make another one low carb.

My daughter is home from college so she wanted Eggplant and spinach lasagna. Destroyed my effort to eat low carb. I was too lazy to make another one low carb.

Lasagna made with pasta is high carb. Wondering why you thought lasagna made with with eggplant and spinach isn't low carb? Veggies that aren't starch are a good thing. :chef:

Steve, that's an interesting looking soup. Sadly, I'm not a fan of cabbage in my soup, any kind of soup. Happily, all four recipe versions I saw online omitted it. I guess your aunt created her own special version.
My aunt's original recipe actually calls for sauerkraut, rather than cabbage. My wife is not a fan of kraut in any way, shape, or form, but she will eat cabbage. So that was my compromise for the sake of maintaining marital bliss.

If it were up to me, though, I would still use sauerkraut. I think it has much more flavor.

In the end, it's just a great recipe for using up leftovers. The base of the soup works with a lot of different meats and vegetables.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom