Just what are "baking" apples?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Triskavanski

Assistant Cook
So I'm working on a few dishes that will be in slow cookers starting tonight, and cooking while I'm at work tomarrow (in slow cookers), so I can bring them to the big dinner.

The first is some sort of Apple Pineapple desert, which calls for "Baking apples." I'm not really sure what that means, other than I guess it could be any apple. So Which ones are the best for making something with Pineapple would people say?

The second thing is a Cranberry mixture, which calls for a 1/2 cup of bourbon, and all I've got right now is a bottle of canadian wiskey. This is the one I'm going to be doing tonight.

Also tomarrow we'll be doing a crock pot of Apple cider. But first I need to come up with the mulling spices. What would be a good blend to mash up?

You are very brave to be making these dishes for the first time without a "test drive"!

Can't go wrong with Granny Smith or Braeburn apples. Whiskey will probably work. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, a few cloves, make a nice mulling mix.

You can use most any apple. There will be minor texture differences.

Canadian whiskey will be fine. Maybe even better.

So I'm working on a few dishes that will be in slow cookers starting tonight, and cooking while I'm at work tomarrow (in slow cookers), so I can bring them to the big dinner.

The first is some sort of Apple Pineapple desert, which calls for "Baking apples." I'm not really sure what that means, other than I guess it could be any apple. So Which ones are the best for making something with Pineapple would people say?

The second thing is a Cranberry mixture, which calls for a 1/2 cup of bourbon, and all I've got right now is a bottle of canadian wiskey. This is the one I'm going to be doing tonight.

Also tomarrow we'll be doing a crock pot of Apple cider. But first I need to come up with the mulling spices. What would be a good blend to mash up?

Baking apples hold their shape better after cooking; Granny Smith, Braeburn and Pink Lady are good ones.

Typical mulling spices are cinnamon sticks, grated nutmeg, whole cloves and ground allspice. I like to put small bottles of Calvados (apple brandy) and cinnamon schnapps next to the slow cooker for those who like to indulge.

You are very brave to be making these dishes for the first time without a "test drive"!

Can't go wrong with Granny Smith or Braeburn apples. Whiskey will probably work. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, a few cloves, make a nice mulling mix.

I'm an evil person sometimes. Making them for the big dinner is my test drive. :3

At the moment I have a small bag of fuji apples. I'll be picking up a few more from the grocery store during my break today.

Even the Guinness "stew" I didn't throw out, ate it all. Just poured out the vile liquid. though it lead me to the next round which used some sort of Campbells latin soup for the stock.

Fuji apple are considered good for eating out of hand and for apple sauce and baking. Check this site. Cook's Thesaurus: Apples

Apples that are good for baking are generally not the same ones that are good for apple sauce. Apple sauce apples break down easily when cooked while baking apples hold their shape.

If that's the effect you want, then of course, they're fine ;)

Last edited:
I made a mince meat pie and a pumpkin pie this morning. I will make an apple crostata tomorrow morning. The mince pie has 1/4 cup of Jim Beam in it. I also assembled
my green bean casserole, corn pudding and a dip for crackers this morning. Made gravy as well. While I was doing all of this, one of our guests for dinner tomorrow, showed up at my door with a beautiful flower arrangement for the table. I had planned to get something for the tablethis afternoon, saved me a trip. It was such a lovely surprise.

Perhaps you don't have them in US but a baking apple is a cooking apple, i.e. not a braeburn or a granny smith (which are regarded as eating apples, although the latter could pass for a cooking apple if nothing else is available).

Cooking apples are larger than eating apples and tart. They also fluff up better.

Perhaps you don't have them in US but a baking apple is a cooking apple, i.e. not a braeburn or a granny smith (which are regarded as eating apples, although the latter could pass for a cooking apple if nothing else is available).

Cooking apples are larger than eating apples and tart. They also fluff up better.

Perhaps things are simply different in the U.S. Here, Granny Smiths are regarded as baking apples. Not that they can't be eaten out of hand, but it's quite common to bake with them.

What specific variety of apple do you consider a baking/cooking apple?

Hmm... The Fuji apples I got are big ones too. I looked at Sprouts during lunch, and saw that they had much smaller fuji apples, and I picked up granny smiths as I figure the sourness of the grannies could go well with the pineapples.

Perhaps things are simply different in the U.S. Here, Granny Smiths are regarded as baking apples. Not that they can't be eaten out of hand, but it's quite common to bake with them.

What specific variety of apple do you consider a baking/cooking apple?
Bramley's seedlings.

Last edited:
I wouldn't stress too much over the variety of apples. I think any kind would work, some might get a bit mushy, but it's all good!

Back
Top Bottom