Another Pleasant Barley Monday. 11/30/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I made vegetable soup. Of course I put in too much barley. It's good, but plenty thick.

Hope your plates are better! What's on them?

I made vegetable soup. Of course I put in too much barley. It's good, but plenty thick.

Hope your plates are better! What's on them?

Unfortunately barley has a way of becoming more than you planned on. But I love barley in any soup and for me there is never too much. Just serve up the barley for me. I do soak my barley overnight. That way it won't absorb as much of the liquid. :angel:

A 6 cheese burger with bacon and grilled onion.1/3 pound
Hubby had a bacon, egg, guacamole, avocado, grilled onion, American cheese burger. (1/2 pound). Fries with both.

I am a great fan of barley, e.g. particularly pot barley (the whole grain). I use it instead of rice - usually with some stock instead of water. I love the flavour and texture of it.

I am a great fan of barley, e.g. particularly pot barley (the whole grain). I use it instead of rice - usually with some stock instead of water. I love the flavour and texture of it.

I love barley too. My problem is I don't measure. I poured it out of the box into the soup. Soup is pretty stiff. DH likes it though.

We used meatballs that were made ahead, with a thin tomato sauce. A nice side salad rounded out the meal. Karen found one of my favorite degestivos, Ponche Caballero. It is an orange based liquior from Spain with additional fruit and spices.:yum:

Mmmm....vegetable barley soup. That's going on the menu soon. :yum:

Tonight's dinner was a 2 egg veggie omelet, using up what I had in the fridge. Chopped asparagus, red and green bells, onions, and topped with shredded cheddar and chives. Sides were a fruit salad of chopped granny smith apples and Cuties, and toasted sourdough. Pretty yummy. :yum:

Last edited:
Tonight I had a condo board meeting so SO and I ate separately. She had beef barley soup from the freezer and I just finished a couple of lamejun from the freezer.

As I remember, cooked barley blows up to ten times it's original size, well maybe not ten, but I remember serving barley porridge instead of soup. ;)

Tonight I have a chicken casserole in the oven called "Hot Turkey (or chicken) and Cranberry Salad". Much to my delight it's low carb, and has lots of good stuff. His will be served on a bed of dressing, and mine on a bed of wilted spinach.
If it tastes worthy, I'll be glad to post it for anyone who may be interested.

I usually pre cook the barley separately, then add it to the soup. It does blow up and take over the liquids.

Kay, I'd like to see your oven chicken/cranberry casserole recipe, hope it turns out well! :)

I usually pre cook the barley separately, then add it to the soup. It does blow up and take over the liquids.

Kay, I'd like to see your oven chicken/cranberry casserole recipe, hope it turns out well! :)

I would rather soak it overnight, then put it in the soup. It still absorbs some of the liquor, but not as much and still has the flavor of the soup. :angel:

I would rather soak it overnight, then put it in the soup. It still absorbs some of the liquor, but not as much and still has the flavor of the soup. :angel:

I just kept dumping from the box. Oh, that doesn't look like much, I'll just put a bit more in. Duh. It was hiding on the bottom of the pot, until it plumped up and took over. Sneaky stuff.

Thankfully it wasn't as thick as the soup I made years ago. The spoon could stand up in it.

Last edited:
I just kept dumping from the box. Oh, that doesn't look like much, I'll just put a bit more in. Duh. It was hiding on the bottom of the pot, until it plumped up and took over. Sneaky stuff.

Thankfully it wasn't as thick as the soup I made years ago. The spoon could stand up in it.

So have you learned your lesson or are you prone to repeat the same the next time. Try soaking them first if think of it in time. :angel:

If the barley takes over the soup or makes it into a porridge couldn't you just add less barley?

Too late.

It's actually really good, nice and chewy too! Homemade stock, lots of veggies. I may add some V8 to thin it down tomorrow.

Last edited:
You got it, Cheryl! That was the intent!

Loved the Monkees.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom