My caramel is rock hard, can I fix it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McTwisted

Assistant Cook
I miss read the instructions for making caramels. I read it to say that i bring ingred. to 245 degrees and cook for 12 to 15mins. I cooked it way too long i know now. My question is, .... what can i do to fix it or what else can make out of it? I don't want to throw it away. Is there something to add to it so it will soften it up. My plan is , I'm making homemade Turtles. Someone PLZ help and respond with some advice. Thank you in advance:

I would pour it into a buttered pan and let it cool, coat it with melted chocolate, finish it with chopped nuts and break it into random pieces for a toffee kind of thing similar to this.

images

I miss read the instructions for making caramels. I read it to say that i bring ingred. to 245 degrees and cook for 12 to 15mins. I cooked it way too long i know now. My question is, .... what can i do to fix it or what else can make out of it? I don't want to throw it away. Is there something to add to it so it will soften it up. My plan is , I'm making homemade Turtles. Someone PLZ help and respond with some advice. Thank you in advance:

The texture of the caramel is determined by its moisture content. As more moisture is evaporated from the cooking caramel, it become harder, though still liquid while hot. As it cools, the sugar begins to crystallize.

If you want to soften your caramel, pot a little water into a pot, and place the caramel into it. Heat it slowly while stirring every few minutes to keep the sugars from burning. Te test the consistancy, remove a spoonful once the caramel sauce has developed, and plunge it into cold water too cool. Take a bite. If it is too soft, it will be syrupy. If it is to hard it will need to have more moisture added.

Use a candy thermometer once all of the caramel has been made liquid again, and cook it to the soft-ball stage. Pour into a buttered pan and let cool. It should be fine.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I had the same issue, broke the slab of hard caramel into small pieces, heated the broken pieces with a can of evaporated milk until melted, stirring constantly to the firm ball temperature and presto changeo.. perfect caramels.....

I guess its not possible now.

Both I, and CW posted ways of fixing your caramel. If you don't want to remelt with added liquid, just heat it slowly in a double boiler, add nuts, and pou it into a parchment lined pan to make brittle.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom