Help, it's going flat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
When I am making my Italian bread, it goes down like a flat tire. I make it by directions, knead for 10 min, let rise for an hour, then shape and put in oven, it looks good going in but then goes flat at end of baking.:mad:
Any one have any idea what's going on?

The shaping is very important. As you are shaping, you want to keep tucking dough underneath the loaf, creating a taut "skin" on the outside of the dough, this helps it hold its shape.

+1 plus put it in some kind of form, even if it's just foil wrapped around parchment paper (so it doesn't stick) so that it rises up instead of out.

I did shape and let rise for an hour, then baked, perhaps i need a form, thanks for the good and quick replies.

I had problems with my bread deflating. I'd make it according to directions that I'd been using forever, and with great success. I'd let it rise, punch it down and put into the loaf pans, let it rise again, and bake. When the bread was close to finishing, it would deflate as if it were a balloon that had been popped. Finally, someone told me about adding vital wheat gluten to my flour. That solved the issue. My breads come out great again light and fluffy, and with great texture. Sometimes, it's not the technique, but the quality of the ingredients.

Try the vital wheat gluten if you're still having issues.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When I am making my Italian bread, it goes down like a flat tire. I make it by directions, knead for 10 min, let rise for an hour, then shape and put in oven, it looks good going in but then goes flat at end of baking.:mad:
Any one have any idea what's going on?

I did shape and let rise for an hour, then baked, perhaps i need a form, thanks for the good and quick replies.

So did you
Knead, let rise, shape and bake
Or
Shape, let rise, then bake?

You need to knead, let rise, shape, let rise again, then bake.

Back
Top Bottom