What's for dinner? Tuesday, 12-8-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm heading out to the grocery store in a few to get some more shrimp for shrimp tacos this evening, and to check out their scallops while I'm at it. I was craving scallops last week and they looked so sad sitting there in a yukky pool of water :glare:, so I passed them by.

Stater Bros is having a sale on trimmed tri tips for $4.99/lb, so I'll probably pick up another one while I'm there.

What's on everyone's plate for this evening? :chef:

Shrimp Taco's sounds divine Cheryl. I'm about to go and meet my "Lunch Bunch" ladies but shrimp something sounds good for dinner tonight. Hmm, think I'll swing by TJ's for some inspiration.

I'm gonna take a shot at chicken roulade so that Saturday isn't my first time cooking it/them. I'll do two breasts, one with asparagus/spinach and one with feta/oregano and see which I like more!

Maybe I'll do some quick latkes tonight too - we'll see!

We're having ham tonight. My Dad always loved ham. Today it's 24 years since he died, but I know he'll show up in spirit if I make ham tonight. ;)

I have some leftover mashed potatoes, so I think I'll make some patties with them. Haven't had those in ages. :yum: Can never make them as good as my Mom did, though. :neutral: Probably a little broccoli, and maybe some roasted butternut squash, will complete the plate.

Pork tenderloin, faux risotto in the Zoji, and broc. I haven't decided if I'm going to roast or grill the pork. It's 40 F, but it feels colder, probably because it's overcast.

004.JPG

We were out all from early this morning, so
we decided to have dinner early
Trader Joe's frozen fare:
Battered Halibut
Handsome cut Potato Fries
Homemade Tartar Sauce
and a small salad

Shrimp Taco's sounds divine Cheryl. I'm about to go and meet my "Lunch Bunch" ladies but shrimp something sounds good for dinner tonight. Hmm, think I'll swing by TJ's for some inspiration.

The TJ's visit took me in another direction. Picked up some nice looking Italian Sausage, a bag of Chard, a net bag of itty bitty white potatoes, some shelf stable heavy cream and I'm on the road to Zuppa Toscana!!

Yummmmm:yum:

YUM!! Between you and Aunt Bea posting about making Zuppa Toscana, I've GOT to get it back on the menu soon. Such a delicious soup!

Zuppa Toscana ala Olive Garden!
I haven't made that in the longest time... DH doesn't care for it,
"it's creamy" (please 10 year whinny little BRAT boys voice here :LOL:)
I use to make a half batch and share it with my my Mom when she lived closer to us (12 miles versus almost 700)

Question:
If I used whole milk and yukon golds rather than heavy cream and russets,
would that freeze okay ya think?

The TJ's visit took me in another direction. Picked up some nice looking Italian Sausage, a bag of Chard, a net bag of itty bitty white potatoes, some shelf stable heavy cream and I'm on the road to Zuppa Toscana!!

Yummmmm:yum:

YUM!! Between you and Aunt Bea posting about making Zuppa Toscana, I've GOT to get it back on the menu soon. Such a delicious soup!

oops, please see question above :blush:

Zuppa Toscana ala Olive Garden!
I haven't made that in the longest time... DH doesn't care for it,
"it's creamy" (please 10 year whinny little BRAT boys voice here :LOL:)
I use to make a half batch and share it with my my Mom when she lived closer to us (12 miles versus almost 700)

Question:
If I used whole milk and yukon golds rather than heavy cream and russets,
would that freeze okay ya think?

I personally think heavy cream will freeze better than milk, and yukons over russets. I sympathize with the 10-year-old voice, SIL.... no creamy stuff, no cheesy stuff. Don't know how our DD stands it since she always loved both.

If you plan on freezing this wonderful soup, use white beans instead of any kind of potatoes. I prefer it with white beans myself, but since I don't do carbs right now, itty bitty little white potatoes are easier to fish out of my soup than beans. I detest frozen potatoes. ick. A can of evaporated milk is an ok replacement for the cream, but it's just not special without the dairy imo. Geeze, I adore this soup! It was killer tonight!

Last edited:
If you plan on freezing this wonderful soup, use white beans instead of any kind of potatoes. I prefer it with white beans myself, but since I don't do carbs right now, itty bitty little white potatoes are easier to fish out of my soup than beans. I detest frozen potatoes. ick. A can of condensed milk is an ok replacement for the cream, but it's just not special without the dairy imo. Geeze, I adore this soup!
It got my vote, and NOT because I am married to her!

Made bachelor surprise with strips of sirloin steak instead of ground beef. It was quite tasty.

Attachments

• IMG_20151208_195330.jpg
    IMG_20151208_195330.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 108
Back
Top Bottom