The Chief's Turkey Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Most cooks on DC know how to make an outstanding soup. This is just one more version of Turkey Soup, albeit a little healthier than turkey noodle or turkey rice soup. It starts with one leftover turkey carcass. Here's the ingredient list:

1 left-over carcass from a roasted, 20 lb turkey.

2 drumstick bones

2 thigh bones ( I take the meat off of these and the drumstick bones and place them onto the surving platter

2 onions, peeled and coarsely diced

2 carrots peeled and sliced

2 stalks celery peeled and sliced

1 tsp. ground sage

Salt to taste

1 tsp. ground black pepper

1/2 cup pearl barley (forget the rice and/or noodles)

Break the turkey carcass in half. Place the carcass halves into a large pot and cover with water. Use a sturdy knife, or meat cleaver to cut the leg bones in half and add to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 hour (or place the carcass and bones into a pressure cooker and cook for 30 minutes.

Remove the carcass and bones from the cooking vessel and let cook enough to handle. Pick the meat off and add to the pot. Add left0ver turkey meat from the turkey dinner to the pot as well. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Test the broth for flavor and adjust the seasonings to taste.

What makes this soup great is the pearl barley. It has great texture and is much healthier than white rice, or noodles. I contains nutrients, and fiber.

Serve with a good side salad.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ya the pearl barley sounds delicious! I'll give it a try. Poor old pearl barley has been forgotten about for too long.
I just bought a pound a couple of weeks ago on a whine.
I have lots of frozen turkey stock.
Thanks Chief.

Pearl barley is good in any soup! I use it a lot in beef or mushroom soup. Haven't tried it in turkey soup yet. Thanks Chief!

I wonder if it would make a good substitute for orzo. I'm thinking that I'd have to pre-cook it before adding to a sauce. I also wonder if it could be a replacement for tapioca in a frog-eye salad. I know that rolled, whole grain barley is great when cooked and eaten like oatmeal. So, would it be great in no-bake cookies? I think it would. So many possibilities.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom