Did I Blow This Cheesecake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
I made that second Cheesecake this afternoon; I wrapped the bottom of the springform pan in a double layer of heavy-duty tin foil, put it into a Bain Marie, baked it off as directed... I pulled it out to let it cool off, I peeled back the tin foil and... THERE'S WATER IN THERE!!!
Granted, not a lot, maybe 2 or 3 Tablespoons that was between the foil and the bottom of the pan, but, but...
Am I doomed? will I have a soggy bottom crust?
I really wanted to take this second cake over to the neighbors for their New Year's Eve party... *sob* :( *sniff*

I made that second Cheesecake this afternoon; I wrapped the bottom of the springform pan in a double layer of heavy-duty tin foil, put it into a Bain Marie, baked it off as directed... I pulled it out to let it cool off, I peeled back the tin foil and... THERE'S WATER IN THERE!!!
Granted, not a lot, maybe 2 or 3 Tablespoons that was between the foil and the bottom of the pan, but, but...
Am I doomed? will I have a soggy bottom crust?
I really wanted to take this second cake over to the neighbors for their New Year's Eve party... *sob* :( *sniff*

Ignore the water. Just a little condensation. Proceed as usual.

Steam forms between the foil & the bottom of the pan. Sometimes it will get into the crust but not always. I always remove the foil asap. Did you leave the cake in the oven while the oven cooled down? If not, next time remove the foil and let the cake cool down in the oven. This helps if any moisture is in the cake.
As I have ran into this problem myself, I now fold a paper towel into 1/4 and place it between the pan & the foil. The towel absorbs any steam. To keep water from entering the pan it self I tape the bottom of the pan with painters tape,( blue masking tape ).
I hope this helps on your next cheesecake.

I never made a cheesecake until I came across a recipe that did *not* require baking it in a water bath because I didn't want to deal with the hassle and risk ending up with a soggy cake.

Off the top of my head, I think it called for baking for 50 minutes, then turning off the oven and leaving it in there for about an hour. I can look it up and post it if anyone is interested. It's a lemon cheesecake, but I imagine the method would work for any flavor.

I never trusted spring-form pans with water baths.
I'm not certain how I made my sour cream, cheese cake a few years ago, but the recipe was from Alton Brown and I was able to use a cake pan. A deep cake/pie pan.
I don't remember how I was able to invert and to turn it back over, but I do remember it coming out great. All in one piece I mean....
I bought the pan especially for cheesecake.
I don't trust spring-form if I'm using a water bath.

For the flourless chocolate cake we made last year, I buttered the bottom of a cake pan, covered it with a round of parchment, then buttered the parchment. The cake came right out, we peeled off the parchment, and it was perfect. Iced it will cinnamon and dark-chocolate ganache. Oh so good :yum:

How did it turn out?

I agree about spring from pans and water baths, btw - recipe for disaster but there are some things you can do..

Line the inside of the pan with foil. Once you have baked and cooled and taken away the pan edge/ring, you can flatten out the foil and then slice the cheesecake onto a platter. Even better is a proper cheese cake pan like this one :
pan.jpg

With this pan, the foil goes in the pan before the bottom. Once baked and slid from the pan, the foil is easy to peel away from the side and the bottom stays under the cheesecake.

And then there's this - the two pan method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68htVeDaYh4

About water getting into the springform pan-I've never had an issue. Water does get between the pan and the foil but never inside the pan. Maybe it has to do with the pan quality.

I suspect the condensation happens as the pan is sitting in the turned off oven.

I've had a little water sneak in when using foil and springform but I usually pack down my crumb crust pretty tight and trim off anything that gets a little soggy.

You want to use the very wide foil so that there are no seams and I do a double layer.

Last edited:
I have two of these pans and I really love them. I still do the foil ( double layer of the very large heavy duty foil) on the outside to keep the sides pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:
003.JPG

Yeah, so, I'm doomed alright!
DANG IT!!
Look at that, wouldja?
Sogged out, say a third of the way... oh well, I was thinking about it and many a Cheesecake I've had out at restaurants, etc that were the same way, so...
I bought some 72% cocoa Chocolate and some Caramels, I'll just disguise it.

For the flourless chocolate cake we made last year, I buttered the bottom of a cake pan, covered it with a round of parchment, then buttered the parchment. The cake came right out, we peeled off the parchment, and it was perfect. Iced it will cinnamon and dark-chocolate ganache. Oh so good :yum:

My memory is coming back and I remember carefully cutting out and buttering parchment paper to cover the complete inside of the cheese cake pan.
How I got it out without destroying it is beyond comprehension. But I did and was successful.
I have this exact pan. Its the one I used to make my one and only homemade cheese cake.

Attachments

• cheesecake pan.jpg
    cheesecake pan.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 624
You shouldn't need to put parchment up the sides. When you remove the cake from the oven, run a knife around the inside of the pan to loosen it. This will also help prevent cracking as the cake cools.

I've never had a problem making cheesecake. In fact, I just made one (Oreo cookie variety) this week to bring to our family Christmas event.

I don't use a water bath and have no problems with my cakes. I do, however, line the bottom of the pan with parchment before I attach the side ring. I do that so I don't have to worry about leaving the cake pan bottom behind when I share a cake. Once the cake is baked, all I have to do is slide the cake off using the parchment.

Most, if not all, of my recipes direct me to bake for a specified time, then remove from the oven for about 10 minutes, spread on the topping and return to the oven for a few minutes to set the topping. After the final baking time, they're cooled for a few minutes and I run a thin knife around the sides to loosen it. Refrigerate and, when fully cooled, remove the ring and put the cake on a plate. Always perfect results.

You shouldn't need to put parchment up the sides. When you remove the cake from the oven, run a knife around the inside of the pan to loosen it. This will also help prevent cracking as the cake cools.

I was following Alton Browns instructions. The recipe said to line the bottom and sides. I cut out a long piece and made it into a ring. I'm still amazed I was able to get it out, then turn it back over.
It was not a very firm cheese cake.

Last edited:
I watched Alton Brown make a cheesecake and he heated the finished cheesecake in the pan on a burner for a few seconds to slightly soften the butter in the crust so he could invert the cake, remove the pan and plate it.

I do that with my 10" springform to make it easier to get it onto a serving plate.

If I'm baking a cake, I line the bottom with parchment and grease the parchment. I never did the sides. I just rum a knife around the pan to loosen the sides and invert.

Last edited:
I had heard of the two pan method before. But since it was a long time before I made another cheesecake, I had forgotten about it. Then the next year I remembered it. It works like a charm. Before that I used to put a roasting pan on the shelf below filled almost to the top with water. That too worked like a charm. So this year when I had to make a couple of different ones, I decided to go with the two pan method. And that will be my "go to" method from here on in. :angel:

Do any of you use the Cake Release recipe?

Christmas babies really lose out being born on or even too near Christmas. Pirate was one of those babies. As a result this child of mine has never, ever had his birthday acknowledged. No cards, gifts or cake.

So this year I made the Hershey's Chocolate Chocolately cake. His very favorite. I made it in a Bundt pan. He thought I was making it for Christmas at his sister's house. I am not a big fan of Pam or other spray products. They tend to run down the sides and create a puddle on the bottom. And in a Bundt pan, there is even more puddles. It still requires the step of flouring the pan. So this time I used the cake release. So much easier and I knew from past experiences my cake was going to release completely. No second step of flouring required.

For those of you who don't know or have it, here it is.

1 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening (Crisco or other similar product)
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1/4 cup of all purpose flour

Mix together in a small container all the ingredients. When using, spread with a pastry brush (silicone works best) to coat cake pans prior to adding batter.

This works great. I have never had a failure of a cake sticking. And it is less expensive than Pam or any other spray, and no second step of flouring.

Store in a container with a lid in your cupboard just like you would your shortening. :angel:

I just wanted everyone to know that Nordic Ware sells several springform pans that do not leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom