Duck Fat uses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I'll be cooking 4 roast ducks for Christmas, and they should produce 4 cups of duck fat.

Besides using it for cooking potatoes, what other uses does it have in recipes?
Should I freeze it, or will it keep refrigerated indefinitely like bacon fat?

TIA:chef:

You can use it to fry anything. Also, I've seen Jacques Pepin use duck fat as the fat in a salad dressing. You can also use it to make confit fit duck or chicken legs or other meats.

Think of it like bacon fat. Anything you would use bacon fat for, you can sub duck fat. It keeps just as well, too. I just store mine in a jar in the fridge.

Thanks guys. I know the culinary world speaks of it as liquid gold. I will have 4 cups of it, and I already have some on hand. I think I'll put it in 1/2 cup jars for little gifts for the family tomorrow. The SousChef and I are excited getting them prepared for the cook tomorrow.

Thanks friends for setting me on the quest to learn more about duck fat.

I found this and it sure makes for interesting information.

How To Use Duck Fat | D'Artagnan

Thanks for sharing that, Kayelle :) I'm planning to do a duck soon. My brother and SIL gave us a box of grilling/BBQ sauces for Christmas - one is made with Michigan cherries and sounds like it would make a great glaze for a duck :yum:

Every year my sister used to make a roasted duck for Pirate for his birthday. She was always the only one who remembered it. Maybe it was because she delivered him when he was born. Since she died, there have been no more ducks. I am going shopping next week and will have to pick one up for him. I even have a large stand to place the duck on. It has a really deep well to catch all the fat. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom