Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   New Year's Eve menu planning (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/new-years-eve-menu-planning-94667.html)

Janet H 12-28-2015 04:56 PM

New Year's Eve menu planning
 
DC did such a great job rounding out my Christmas party and now I'm looking for help with a new years eve bash.

We are having an informal party and music jam - I expect about 40 folks to wander through between 8 PM and midnight and expect number of them will bring something to share. Still, I think I need to provide some basics. I'm not interested in cooking during the evening and need the food to be mostly self serve. Here's what I have so far:
  • Ham rolls - make them yourself. I'll have a spiral cut ham, rolls, cheese, mayo, mustard and pickles.
  • Crock pot of black eyed peas and collards - traditional and good for vegetarians.
  • Popcorn

What else?

Kayelle 12-28-2015 05:28 PM

It's been such a long time since I've been to a NYE house party Janet. It sounds like great fun, can we come? Tell us about the music.

Hmm, let's see. How about some finger food? I think there's a thread around here with all kinds of ideas. I'll go look.

Here tiz...http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...son-91703.html

GotGarlic 12-28-2015 05:36 PM

You could check through the thread K'girl started for dips and pick one or two to serve with crudités.

Boursin-turkey-basil pinwheels.

Seven-Layer Mexican dip with tortilla chips.

Fruit and cheese platter with strawberry or lemon yogurt for dipping.

Antipasto platter - sliced cured Italian meats, cheeses, roasted red peppers, olives with sliced Italian bread and/or crackers.

Dawgluver 12-28-2015 05:37 PM

Crock pot meatballs and/or Lil Smokies in grape jelly and chili sauce. Peasant fare, but they are really good and popular.

Aunt Bea 12-28-2015 05:51 PM

A potato or macaroni salad to go with the ham rolls.

A large platter with the last of the Christmas cookies, candy, fruitcake and other treats so you can start the new year without any temptations.

Also the meatball/Lil Smokie thing is great made with a can of cranberry sauce this time of year. Just melt a can of the jelly or whole berry sauce in with the bottle of chili sauce instead of the grape jelly. :yum:

Janet H 12-28-2015 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1448786)
It's been such a long time since I've been to a NYE house party Janet. It sounds like great fun, can we come? Tell us about the music.

Sure - lots of room. The music will be whatever guests come up with. I am a musician and have a band. New years eve is traditionally a full employment night for musicians but also one of the nastiest nights to play. Bad weather, lots of drunks and chaos; so a few years ago my band stopped playing on this night and now we have a party. We invite family and friends; most of our friends are also musicians and we'll have an nice acoustic jam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotGarlic (Post 1448788)
You could check through the thread K'girl started for dips and pick one or two to serve with crudités.

Boursin-turkey-basil pinwheels.

Yum!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1448789)
Crock pot meatballs and/or Lil Smokies in grape jelly and chili sauce. Peasant fare, but they are really good and popular.

We are peasants and these are all great suggestions...

:chef:

Kayelle 12-28-2015 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet H (Post 1448795)
Sure - lots of room. The music will be whatever guests come up with. I am a musician and have a band. New years eve is traditionally a full employment night for musicians but also one of the nastiest nights to play. Bad weather, lots of drunks and chaos; so a few years ago my band stopped playing on this night and now we have a party. We invite family and friends; most of our friends are also musicians and we'll have an nice acoustic jam.

Now I know for sure I want to come Janet!! I can't think of a better NYE!!

Kaneohegirlinaz 12-28-2015 07:32 PM

... I'll bring my ukulele ...

I found this on Pinterest and think it would get at room temp for a time, a make-ahead platter

Loaded Cheesy Mashed Potato Balls recipe - from Tablespoon!

Dawgluver 12-28-2015 08:09 PM

New Years Eve menu planning
 
I can play the finger cymbals...

Used to be decent on the bassoon. Nowadays, probably not so much.

PrincessFiona60 12-28-2015 08:28 PM

Don't forget a little horseradish for the ham rolls.

I would set out small dishes of glazed nuts, salty and savory.

I can play the stereo...

Whiskadoodle 12-28-2015 09:04 PM

I used to play concert and jazz clarinet in college.

I would like to see devilled eggs on a party buffet. Pedestrian food, but oh so good and they disappear fast, which is a sign your guests enjoy them.

Salmon spread, put some on sliced cucumbers or just set a bowl of it near the crackers.

Cheryl J's black bean and corn salad. We are serving this NY Day either with scoopers or as a salad,

di reston 12-28-2015 09:05 PM

Here in Italy, the New Year's dinner is traditionally zampone e lenticchie - stuffed pig's trotter with lentils. The lentils are supposed to bring you wealth. I'm ok with the lentils but not with the pig's trotter, so I'm doing roast ham instead, and we're inviting friends. I shall start with crostini . one with chopped fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and pesto, and the other with chopped chicken livers, done in butter with anchovies, onions, capers, lemon juice, white wine, parsley, then spaghetti or linguine with prawns, basil chopped, same amount of parsley, grated peel and juice of half a lemon, white wine to taste, a little chopped garlic, a good drizzle of olive oil, 1lb fresh prawns.

Cut the prawns into bite sized pieces. Chop the basil and parsley. Add the drizzle of olive oil to the pan, then add the chopped herbs, lemon zest and juice, then the prawns, and deglaze with the liquids, a little garlic if you like. Have it all ready to toss the pasta into, and serve very hot.
Panettone - traditional for both Christmas and New Year. On New Year's Day morning I shall be watching the New Year's concert from Vienna. All washed down with a nice champagne.

Happy New Year to everybody!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Cook the pasta, and in the meantime

Kayelle 12-28-2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle (Post 1448835)
I used to play concert and jazz clarinet in college.

I would like to see devilled eggs on a party buffet. Pedestrian food, but oh so good and they disappear fast, which is a sign your guests enjoy them.

Salmon spread, put some on sliced cucumbers or just set a bowl of it near the crackers.

Cheryl J's black bean and corn salad. We are serving this NY Day either with scoopers or as a salad,

Oh I soo agree with old school deviled eggs! You've given us a "flavor" of your fun friends, and casual deviled eggs would be just right. Who doesn't love deviled eggs?

Kaneohegirlinaz 12-28-2015 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OOOOhhhh I LOVE deviled eggs... I made a tray for the NYE party at our neighbors last year and they were gone in a flash
Attachment 24078

...but I won't be making these this year, what with the price of eggs through the roof...

Kayelle 12-28-2015 10:58 PM

Free range eggs are still a good buy at Trader Joes, and compared to other protein choices they're a bargain.

CraigC 12-29-2015 05:41 AM

We tried a restaurant called the "Feisty Bull" and really liked the "Cuban Sandwich Egg Rolls." These would be a great party offering.

This BA chili is really good, vegetarian and probably vegan.

Black Bean, Yellow Pepper, and Cumin Chili Recipe - Bon Appétit

GotGarlic 12-29-2015 03:17 PM

I just came across this gorgeous, sun-shaped tart made with puff pastry and tapenade, served with a lemony whipped feta dip. It's gorgeous!

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/...-tarte-soleil/

Dawgluver 12-29-2015 03:32 PM

Janet, wasn't it you who suggested Srichacha deviled eggs a couple years ago? Maybe mix some yolks with crab meat or chopped shrimp.

Janet H 12-29-2015 04:08 PM

More great suggestions and thanks for the horse radish reminder :)


BTW - that feta tarte looks amazing - added to the menu! Also considering adding some candy cane meringues.

GotGarlic 12-29-2015 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet H (Post 1448939)
More great suggestions and thanks for the horse radish reminder :)

BTW - that feta tarte looks amazing - added to the menu! Also considering adding some candy cane meringues.

Glad you like it. Did I mention it was gorgeous? :wink: I guess I thought it was pretty :lol:

I like how it's described as symbolizing the increase in sunlight since the Winter Solstice last week.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.