Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Soups (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   ISO TNT Vegetable soup/stew (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/iso-tnt-vegetable-soup-stew-94725.html)

HolyCanoli 01-04-2016 11:01 PM

ISO TNT Vegetable soup/stew
 
I'm loving my new Crock Pot and want to make a veggie soup/stew but I never have before. I would love someone's TNT recipe! Would prefer not to have potatoes in it (trying to stick to the New Year's resolution and eat healthier and lose weight) or peppers (yuck!). I'm not spice savvy either so any help in that department would be great too.

GA Home Cook 01-05-2016 07:48 AM

Vegetable soup is a southern staple. I don't have a recipe but here is what I do. I start with a combination of a large onion, 1/2 cup each of celery and carrots. Saute them in a small amount of VO until they begin to soften. Transfer to your crock pot. I add 1 qt of creamed corn, 1 qt of canned tomatoes (both from my garden), one small pack of frozen butter beans and about 2 cups of homemade chick broth (you can use canned). Let this cook for several hours on low. About and hour before you serve it add about 2 cups or a small bag of frozen okra. If you put the okra in too early it turns to mush. I like to add several hits of Texas Pete to mine. Serve with corn bread. The only spice I add is salt and pepper.

Dawgluver 01-05-2016 10:49 AM

ISO TNT Vegetable soup/stew
 
I don't use a recipe either, but you can't go wrong with GA's method. I also use carrots, celery, and onion, a bay leaf, and whatever other vegetables I may have in the freezer or fridge, along with some type of canned tomato product, juice, even spaghetti sauce. You can sub beef stock for chicken stock, and add browned burger or beef cubes.

A word of caution if you want to use barley, go easy on the barley, it can suck up all the juice!

Andy M. 01-05-2016 10:54 AM

In my opinion, it's stops being vegetable soup when you add chicken or beef broth. Then it's vegetable beef soup/chicken vegetable soup.

That said, you can add vegetable broth or make your own as part of the soup.

CharlieD 01-06-2016 06:22 PM

I thnk vegetable soup is the easiest to make. Just put whatever veggies you want in the pot. Bring to boil, season. Done. Ok, it is very, very simplified, but it really what it is.

larry_stewart 01-06-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Home Cook (Post 1449740)
Vegetable soup is a southern staple. I don't have a recipe but here is what I do. I start with a combination of a large onion, 1/2 cup each of celery and carrots. Saute them in a small amount of VO until they begin to soften. Transfer to your crock pot. I add 1 qt of creamed corn, 1 qt of canned tomatoes (both from my garden), one small pack of frozen butter beans and about 2 cups of homemade chick broth (you can use canned). Let this cook for several hours on low. About and hour before you serve it add about 2 cups or a small bag of frozen okra. If you put the okra in too early it turns to mush. I like to add several hits of Texas Pete to mine. Serve with corn bread. The only spice I add is salt and pepper.

Ive never put creamed corn and canned tomatoes together. Im curious how that would turn out

Kaneohegirlinaz 01-06-2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyCanoli (Post 1449718)
I'm loving my new Crock Pot and want to make a veggie soup/stew but I never have before. ... snipped ...

HC, when making your veggies soup/stew in the slow cooker, mind you don't over cook them to mush. Root veg takes longer, of course, so they go in first and so on. I agree with Dawg, I use Bay Leaves (make sure to count how many go in, that's how many need to come out before serving) and S&P, that's it. I too just throw in whatever I find in the `fridge and/or freezer... spinach, kale, fava beans, corn, even lettuce can go into a vegetable soup, towards the end though, yeah. If it's a bit wilted and not so great for a salad, chuck it in!

GotGarlic 01-06-2016 08:42 PM

I would use bay leaves, parsley stems, thyme and peppercorns like I do when I make stock. Finish with the chopped parsley leaves when serving.

Dawgluver 01-06-2016 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz (Post 1450023)
HC, when making your veggies soup/stew in the slow cooker, mind you don't over cook them to mush. Root veg takes longer, of course, so they go in first and so on. I agree with Dawg, I use Bay Leaves (make sure to count how many go in, that's how many need to come out before serving) and S&P, that's it. I too just throw in whatever I find in the `fridge and/or freezer... spinach, kale, fava beans, corn, even lettuce can go into a vegetable soup, towards the end though, yeah. If it's a bit wilted and not so great for a salad, chuck it in!


Lettuce in soup, what a great idea, K-Girl! I would never have thought of that, much of ours goes to waste.

GA Home Cook 01-07-2016 09:12 AM

Hi Larry - we freeze corn from our garden and it has a good bit of the "milk" from the cobb. That really give the soup some good flavor and thickens. The canned tomatoes are also from my garden. I drain them and reserve the water to add back if the soup gets too thick.

HMMMM - soup on the menu this weekend.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.