Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Beef (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Tender Oven Cooked Brisket (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/tender-oven-cooked-brisket-94726.html)

powerplantop 01-05-2016 12:40 AM

Tender Oven Cooked Brisket

This recipe is a very easy method to cook a perfectly tender brisket in the oven! It takes some time but is mostly hands off. Perfect for when its to cold to fire up the smoker.

Brisket (I used a 15 pound one)

Mix 8 oz tomato paste, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons black pepper and 2 teaspoons garlic. Spread on both sides of brisket.

Place into pan and cover with 3 pounds thinly sliced onions and a pinch of salt. Add 1/2 cup stock (beef or chicken). Cover with foil and cook until internal temperature is between 200 and 205 F. (I cooked this one to 203 / It took 8.5 hours).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5rLCUA3SOA

Kitchen Fly 01-05-2016 02:25 AM

Tender Oven Cooked Brisket

Looks good.

Cheryl J 01-05-2016 04:29 PM

Oh boy, does that ever look good, James! :yum: Thank you for sharing your video, I always enjoy watching them.

Kayelle 01-05-2016 04:36 PM

I got to watch half the video James. My darn old computer continues to freeze up on me with all things video, including NetFlix etc. My computer guru says I need a new computer. Grrr.
Anyway, what I saw looks great. Holy cow, how many people are you feeding?

powerplantop 01-05-2016 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheryl J (Post 1449827)
Oh boy, does that ever look good, James! :yum: Thank you for sharing your video, I always enjoy watching them.

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1449829)
I got to watch half the video James. My darn old computer continues to freeze up on me with all things video, including NetFlix etc. My computer guru says I need a new computer. Grrr.
Anyway, what I saw looks great. Holy cow, how many people are you feeding?

Yep sounds like you need a newer one!

It was only two of us. But took some to work for sandwiches etc. Made some soup with some and put some in the freezer. The Brisket was $27 and I got my moneys worth out of it.

Kayelle 01-05-2016 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerplantop (Post 1449843)
Thank you!

Yep sounds like you need a newer one!

It was only two of us. But took some to work for sandwiches etc. Made some soup with some and put some in the freezer. The Brisket was $27 and I got my moneys worth out of it.

I finally got to see the whole thing James...I never thought a huge brisket like that would shrink so much but it looks outa sight great. I think you left the right amount of fat by the way..fat is flavor, right? :yum:

powerplantop 01-05-2016 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1449880)
I finally got to see the whole thing James...I never thought a huge brisket like that would shrink so much but it looks outa sight great. I think you left the right amount of fat by the way..fat is flavor, right? :yum:

They do shrink a lot due to the internal fat that melts during cooking. I am very happy with how the recipe turned out.

The only thing I might do different next time is after removing the onions put it under the broiler to crisp up some of the fat.

Kayelle 01-05-2016 11:55 PM

I particularly liked your tomato paste mix slathered on it James, along with the onions. Again, another great presentation.

powerplantop 01-05-2016 11:59 PM

The tomato paste along with helping the presentation also added some umami flavor to the dish. I needed something to replace the smoke flavor (but not imitate it) and that is what I came up with.

Addie 01-06-2016 02:00 AM

Like my mother and most New Englanders I had always simmered my brisket. Then one day while on vacation at a friends summer cottage, there was going to be a big crowd for supper. I bought the biggest brisket the store had. She did not have a pan big enough at the cottage for it. So I got the roaster and put it in the oven on 250F. in the late morning. So little shrinkage. So much flavor. I will never again put a brisket in water. Next time I will use your recipe with the tomato paste though. Along with the onions. Any idea how brisket cooks in a slow cooker? Can I get the same results as in the oven? :angel: