Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Vegetables (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Stupid question about Stuffed peppers (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/stupid-question-about-stuffed-peppers-94729.html)

larry_stewart 01-05-2016 01:39 PM

Stupid question about Stuffed peppers

Every time I make stuffed peppers or find a recipe for stuffed peppers, it always calls for green peppers. Is there any reason why i wouldn't stuff a red, yellow, orange ... pepper?

Just curious.

Also, while I've got your attention, I will be making stuffed peppers this week. Although Im a vegetarian, I have access to a chopped meat substitute , and i do eat dairy, so if anyone has any suggestions of how they stuff their peppers , Id be interested. Ill take care of the vegetarian conversions, so all ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Larry

Dawgluver 01-05-2016 01:56 PM

Stupid question about Stuffed peppers

No such thing as a stupid question! Any color of pepper can be stuffed. Red, yellow, and orange peppers have more flavor IMHO.

Shredded cabbage or sauerkraut, rice, and a seasoned tomato sauce might be a nice stuffing.

Cheryl J 01-05-2016 01:57 PM

You sure can, I stuff red bells all the time. One of my faves is red or orange bells stuffed with quinoa (or brown rice) drained black beans, tomato sauce, onions and spinach. They're delicious! Very similar to this one:

Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa Recipe - Allrecipes.com

GotGarlic 01-05-2016 02:07 PM

Agree with Dawg and Cheryl. I prefer the flavor of brightly colored bell peppers, too. They're fully ripe, so they're sweeter.

I stuffed and froze several packages of red bell peppers from last summer's garden. I did some with traditional European flavors and some with Mexican flavors. Rice, black beans and corn seasoned with chile powder, Mexican oregano and cilantro would be good.

Addie 01-05-2016 02:17 PM

All of the above is right on!

Green peppers are actually unripe red peppers. And they tend to have (according to my taste buds) a slightly bitterness to them. Go with the colored ones. Have yourself a fiesta of colored peppers. Buy just a couple of each color. The only drawback is that they do tend to cost more than the green ones.

The colored ones look so much prettier in a large frittata for a crowd. :angel:

larry_stewart 01-05-2016 02:20 PM

I agree with all of the above. It was just one of those things I never really thought about until my wife just asked me, why not use a red pepper. I guess Ive been making them so long, before the colored peppers were readily available ( other than the red ones that have been around forever in the basic markets)

GotGarlic 01-05-2016 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addie (Post 1449801)
Green peppers are actually unripe red peppers. And they tend to have (according to my taste buds) a slightly bitterness to them.

Or yellow or orange or purple. They *are* more bitter *because* they're unripe. The sugar in them hasn't developed yet.

jennyema 01-05-2016 02:53 PM

They are usually cheaper... maybe that's it.

Why not try a stuffing based on your rice/lentil experiment??

Sir_Loin_of_Beef 01-05-2016 03:25 PM

I like to stuff mine with leftover jambalaya. If you have a vegetarian recipe for jambalaya, go for it!

Whiskadoodle 01-05-2016 03:57 PM

I looked at all Two of my stuffed pepper recipes. One basically said see what's in the frig. Put it in. Why I kept such a miniscule recipe is beyond logic, it must have some hidden importance somewhere !?!

What I have learned about peppers. Look for ones with 4 feet/ hips as they balance better when cooking as opposed to the 3 footed ones. I also cut them from top to bottom rather than just cut the tops off or cutting around the equator. I think they hold more stuffing, or you can pile it up higher.

My favorite way to make peppers ( no recipe) is Tex-Mex/ SW flavors. Any combo of chilies, jalapenos, cumin, oregano, chopped tomatoes, corn, zukes, black olives, salsa; add to a (burger)- rice or pinto beans mix. The reason I like this way , is because you can use leftover stuffing for tacos or burritos the next day or use taco mix to stuff the peppers. I also do the same with stuffed zucchinis. Top with a little cheese. Versatile.

I have only used green/ red bells at home. When growing garden peppers, it is like earning a prize if the growing season lasts late enough for red peppers to develop.