ISO best way to store bread in the freezer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
Yesterday I bought a loaf of dense gluten free bread at a local café and they recommended freezing a portion since the shelf life on the counter is about four days. I cut the loaf in thick slices, wrapped three at time in saran wrap, and put them in a rubbermaid container (with no lid) in the freezer. I noticed that there was a little freezer burn on some of the slices, especially the top one. Is there a way to minimize freezer burn when storing bread? Is there something I can do differently?

When I freeze bread I don't. I usually put a half of the loaf in the freezer and have not had any problems. But I usually only keep it in the freezer for maybe 2 weeks.

P. S. Also I defrost Irvin the refrigerator.
Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Last edited:
Thanks CharlieD! Should I put the slices in Saran wrap in the freezer bags?

KG, you can put the ones you've already saran-wrapped in freezer bags, even use one big freezer bag. After you go through all those then you can just use the freezer bags without saran wrap. I do like to double-wrap fresh bread.

Last edited:
Sliced bread, hot dog and hamburger rolls, deli rolls, english muffins. They all go into the freezer in the original bag. I take out a couple of slices, a roll or E. Muffin, wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave for 20 -30 seconds-fresh as a daisy.

Sliced bread, hot dog and hamburger rolls, deli rolls, english muffins. They all go into the freezer in the original bag. I take out a couple of slices, a roll or E. Muffin, wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave for 20 -30 seconds-fresh as a daisy.

Thanks for that microwave tip, Andy. They thaw in about a half hour on the counter, but sometimes you don't want to wait that long ;)

Thanks for all the great tips everyone!

Dawgluver, love your idea about putting all the slices in one big freezer bag. Do you wrap bread in saran wrap as well as using the freezer bags?

You sure can, double insurance, and as you use your slices three at a time, it makes it very convenient.

I buy loaves of bread that already come double wrapped and also freeze in the original wrapper. I just put the whole loaf (already sliced) in the freezer and peel off slices as needed.

Last edited:
You sure can, double insurance, and as you use your slices three at a time, it makes it very convenient.

I buy loaves of bread that already come double wrapped. I just put the whole loaf (already sliced) in the freezer and peel off slices as needed.

Thank you. This is very helpful :)

Thanks for that microwave tip, Andy. They thaw in about a half hour on the counter, but sometimes you don't want to wait that long ;)

You have to be careful. If you microwave for too long the bread gets hard edges and is not good eats any more.

Andy, why do you use a damp paper towel? Does that add moisture to the bread?

I buy loaves of bread that already come double wrapped and also freeze in the original wrapper. I just put the whole loaf (already sliced) in the freezer and peel off slices as needed.

Same here. Most of the loaves I buy are double wrapped but if they aren't, they go in a freezer zip lock in the original wrap.

When I take a couple of slices out of the freezer, if I'm not going to use them right away I wrap them in a paper towel to help absorb any moisture and put them in a ziplock. They thaw nicely.

Last edited:
Same here. Most of the loaves I buy are double wrapped but if they aren't, they go in a freezer zip lock in the original wrap.

When I take a couple of slices out of the freezer, if I'm not going to use them right away I wrap them in a paper towel to help absorb any moisture and put them in a ziplock. They thaw nicely.

The loaf I bought from the café bakery isn't wrapped. They just put in a wax bag. So the freezer bags and saran wrap are going to be the answer!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom