ISO cheap flatware set for food prep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I want to replace some unattractive flatware pieces that I use for food prep—mostly teaspoons, soup spoons, and forks. I just bought this set at Bed Bath but when I took the utensils out of the box and held them, the pointy edges on the handles were really uncomfortable. I think rounded edges on the handles would be better.

Cambridge® Arden Satin 20-Piece Flatware Set - BedBathandBeyond.com

Does anyone know of a cheap stainless steel set that would fill the bill?

Got a great set at JC Penney's many years ago, and they continue to serve me well.

I have two Granny forks that I use for so many things in the kitchen. Testing doneness of veggies for one.

Search Result

I also have these soup spoons. They are great for tasting liquids.
Amazon.com: AmoVee Wholesale Stainless Steel Alpha Round Soup Spoons, Set of 8: Kitchen & Dining

And I find they are easier to eat soup with instead of the elongated large soup spoons that come with most sets. I have several mismatched serrated steak knives and table knives. Very useful when cutting open English and other muffins. Clean straight cut. I am more interested in function more than matching sets. Ice teaspoons come in handy for fishing out an individual item from a deep pot or other container.

If there is a thrift shop or Salvation Army store as Andy suggested, you just might be better off looking there. And helping a good cause also. :angel:

I have two Granny forks that I use for so many things in the kitchen. Testing doneness of veggies for one.

Search Result

I also have these soup spoons. They are great for tasting liquids.
Amazon.com: AmoVee Wholesale Stainless Steel Alpha Round Soup Spoons, Set of 8: Kitchen & Dining

And I find they are easier to eat soup with instead of the elongated large soup spoons that come with most sets. I have several mismatched serrated steak knives and table knives. Very useful when cutting open English and other muffins. Clean straight cut. I am more interested in function more than matching sets. Ice teaspoons come in handy for fishing out an individual item from a deep pot or other container.

Addie, I couldn't agree more!! I don't like the elongated soup spoons, which is why I'm having a hard time finding a set I like. Maybe I'll get the ones you posted and buy some individually-sold forks and knives at BBB.

To be honest, I have trouble understanding where I would use "flatware" during food prep, other than a spoon or two for tasting purposes. Flatware is what I eat with, utensils are what I prep and cook with, and they are not the same thing. :blink:

To be honest, I have trouble understanding where I would use "flatware" during food prep, other than a spoon or two for tasting purposes. Flatware is what I eat with, utensils are what I prep and cook with, and they are not the same thing. :blink:

What would you call forks and spoons used for food prep? Aren't they called flatware? Maybe I'm confused about the terminology.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

What would you call forks and spoons used for food prep? Aren't they called flatware? Maybe I'm confused about the terminology.

I use cooking utensils such as tongs and wooden spatulas and spoons. Occasionally I use a spoon to taste or a fork which I just take out of the flatware drawer.

Addie, I think those are the same spoons I ordered, they're wonderful for all sorts of things, and I agree, Iced Tea Spoons are fabulous for so many functions... the last of something in a jar, in a parfait glass full of Ice Cream or Jello, the list goes on!

My mother had those spoons. My sister took her silver, but I insisted on having at least one of her soup spoons. I still have it. Pirate wants it after. I am tempted to give it to him now. I am so tired of polishing it. Yet I just can't seem to let it go. Every so often I will pull it out and use it as the sugar spoon. :angel:

I use cooking utensils such as tongs and wooden spatulas and spoons. Occasionally I use a spoon to taste or a fork which I just take out of the flatware drawer.

That's exactly what I meant, Andy! I'm looking for simple flatware that I wouldn't use for guests—just for tasting and prep like scooping out avocados and mangoes.

Andy has it right. What you are looking for are cooking utensils. Spatulas, egg turners, meat forks, ladles, and any piece of equipment that is specifically used in the preparation of cooking food. What you have purchased is flatware or tableware. Used for eating. The problem with using what you have bought is that if used in the preparation of cooking, the handles can and do get very hot. Hot enough to give you a burn.

The fork that I have shown you has a full metal handle that is encased with a solid piece of wood to protect the hand against being burned. Ladles, egg turners, serving spoons all have long handles for the purpose of keeping the hands away from the heat.

Well I use forks to fish out capers, to lightly beat an egg. I use a knife to get mustard out of the jar when I make vinaigrette. I use a spoon for tasting. I might even use a a flatware tablespoon to measure approximately one tablespoon, yes, I have recipes that call for approximately one tablespoon.

Well I use forks to fish out capers, to lightly beat an egg. I use a knife to get mustard out of the jar when I make vinaigrette. I use a spoon for tasting. I might even use a a flatware tablespoon to measure approximately one tablespoon, yes, I have recipes that call for approximately one tablespoon.

Thanks Taxlady! Glad you understand what I mean! If I'm scooping out a mango a roundish soup spoon will do the job. Doesn't have to be heat resistant :) I use forks to beat eggs as well if it's a recipe for one.

I wanted some spoons and forks to take in lunches without using my "good" ones. That way if DH accidentally threw it out, it wouldn't be a problem. Found some at WalMart. Open stock, nice round handles like the Hampton forge ones, less than $1 a piece and I could buy only one if I wanted. You might check it out if you're looking for only a few pieces and not a whole set.

Back
Top Bottom