Dinner 1-10-2016 ~ Sunday suppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's dinnertime here on the east coast for some, and I'm figuring it's time to leave my comfy chair and move to the kitchen to start supper.

We'll be having bowls of chili. I might toss in some sauteed mushrooms - Mom did that every once-in-a-while to stretch the meat and I'm craving it that way tonight. Himself will have a bit of rye bread with his, while I'm perfectly happy plopping little oyster crackers into a few spoonfuls.

What are your dinner plans for tonight?

Really, really cold here. The front came through in the middle of last night and we're supposed to be in a deep freeze for a few days.

I made enough scalloped potatoes and ham yesterday for an army, so we'll reprise that, along with the same sides as last night. Side salad and buttered baguettes. Good night to hunker down with comfort food.

We're having pan fried thick loin lamb chops, steamed broccoli with cheese sauce, a baked spud for the SC, and buttered sauteed mushrooms with green onions thanks to inspiration from Cheryl.

I had taken out a few minute steaks last night with the intention of making a quick sandwich if I got hungry. But when I got out in the kitchen, I sautéed the steaks quickly and then tossed a couple of thinly sliced onions and mushrooms along with a couple of slices of garlic and some peas into the pan gravy. I put the onion mess back into the pan with the gravy and served over some creamy mashed potatoes I had boiled. It hit the spot. I didn't even know I was hungry until I had it all cooked and put together. YUM! :angel:

We did Ruby Tuesdays after church this morning. The salad bar filled us both up that neither of us was particularly hungry this evening. I popped some corn and we're snacking on that.

Foul weather today (wind blowing in off the ocean, raining but 50 F), so comfort food is in order. Stuffed red peppers (from a Bon Appetit recipe from 2002), mashed potatoes, and a frozen veggie medley. I used some leftover rice pilaf with slivered almonds for part of the filling, but removed the raisins. It would probably be good with the raisins, but somehow I just didn't want to leave them in.

Eating light & trying to kick this cold. Chicken soup and grill Swiss cheese sand w/ potato salad.

img_1450590_0_f8dd62e2229a532de82455d99e511efc.jpg

Jewish penicillin will hopefully do the trick, S&P! Nice pic.

We had a "medium" (huge) tub of movie popcorn with fake butter, so we're good for now. We can root for leftovers if we get hungry later, which I doubt.

Jewish penicillin will hopefully do the trick, S&P! Nice pic.

We had a "medium" (huge) tub of movie popcorn with fake butter, so we're good for now. We can root for leftovers if we get hungry later, which I doubt.

You're a funny girl Dawg

Last edited by a moderator:
I warmed up the leftover stuffed shells and made toasted Italian bread with Penzey's Fox Point seasoning. I also simmered frozen French-cut green beans with chicken stock and more Fox Point.

I love that stuff. When I don't feel like cutting up onions, garlic and parsley, it's a perfect substitute. I need to get some more.

We're having pan fried thick loin lamb chops, steamed broccoli with cheese sauce, a baked spud for the SC, and buttered sauteed mushrooms with green onions thanks to inspiration from Cheryl.
Killer dinner tonight! the mushrooms were great, and the lamb chops out of sight, especially with the English Mint Sauce,
I felt sorry for my late mom, cooking for my dad, whose idea of haute cuisine was well done roast beef and canned french cut green beans:(

We were going to buy a new kitchen faucet today, but the store is closed on Sundays. So, we ordered out. Stirling got a pizza and I got a souvlaki platter.

The hot tap in my kitchen faucet isn't working. I am not cooking and washing dishes in a sink with that doesn't have hot water since my dishwasher attaches to the faucet. It would take too many spoons. I would rather order out than have a pile of dirty dishes run out of clean dishes.

Last edited:
...Penzey's Fox Point.

I love that stuff. When I don't feel like cutting up onions, garlic and parsley, it's a perfect substitute. I need to get some more.
If that is all you're ordering and will end up paying shipping, you might want to consider The Spice House's "Lake Shore Drive Seasoning". That's what I have at home and love it. The Spice House entry states that the blend was known as Fox Point at the original Milwaukee location. *wink-wink* The price difference is considerable, btw.

s&p, I hope your cold goes away soon. You could have had a bowl of my chili tonight. Himself said it burned out all his germs and cleared up his sinuses! Guess I over-seasoned...

Attachments

• 2016-01-10 20.24.27.jpg
    2016-01-10 20.24.27.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 160
We used a recipe for a "quickie" picadillo from a Bon Appetit recipe from a magazine a month or 2 ago. It was supposed to be used in puffy tacos but we didn't want to use up (basically waste) the amount of oil it would take to make the tacos so just cut up the tortillas and made chips. The picadillo was okay made as directed but had to add a bit more chili powder and added some cumin to make it better. Had chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, grated sharp cheddar cheese, cilantro and guacamole as garnishes.

We picked up a 4.75 +/- pound piece of pork belly when we went shopping Saturday. Craig decided to use about 2.5 pounds of it and make some bacon. So he started curing that yesterday. I started marinating some Korean-style pork belly with gochujang and gochugaru, along with some sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, green onions and a couple of other ingredients. We are going to get a pork tenderloin and use a third part of it for porchetta in the future and there's a small little end piece that's too thin for much of anything and is pretty much just fat so we'll use that for future sausage making.

Last edited:
Oops, I was just informed I was a bit off in my weight on the pork belly. Guess mind wasn't quite functioning yet as the 2 pieces currently being cured/marinated total over 5 pounds. It was more like 10-11 pounds.

If that is all you're ordering and will end up paying shipping, you might want to consider The Spice House's "Lake Shore Drive Seasoning". That's what I have at home and love it. The Spice House entry states that the blend was known as Fox Point at the original Milwaukee location. *wink-wink* The price difference is considerable, btw.

No, I never pay for shipping ;) Thanks for the suggestion but I ordered it last night. They were having a promotion for a free jar of Turkish oregano that ended at midnight. Not that I need it, since I have it in the garden; I'll give it to a friend of mine. I also got ground cumin and shallots.

Back
Top Bottom