Tiger Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I have never heard of this! Saw it on another forum, and seemingly it's popular in ND. Apparently it's seasoned raw beef you spread on crackers, and not made from actual tigers. It still sounds disgusting. I was ready to go postal until I got the explanation.

Last edited:
North Dakotans apparently have their own terms. I checked, and it's been around for a long time. I like beef carpaccio, and have had steak tartare. No cleaner beef than NoDak beef, so I guess if you're gonna eat it raw, that would be where to eat it.

It's interesting how some places have totally different names for a common products. Like if you say dolphin fish , and people think you are eating dolphin, while in reality it is mahi mahi.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I'm not finding those names shocking. What would you make of "Sh## on a Shingle"?

Tiger meat. Not so much. SOS is quite good. My dad was in the Army WW2. He came out still liking it, one of the few things I ever heard him request, so mom made it fairly often, which is why I guess I like it too. Can be made with dried beef or with burger.

I have had beef tartare, didn't care for the raw egg yolk that was served on top, otherwise, it was an ok spread.

I like Tiger sauce, says "Try me" on the bottle and is located at the store near the Tabasco aisle. Starts out kind of sweet then turns spicy hot. Mmmmm. Recently I saw a recipe for home made tiger sauce to be served with Baltimore pit beef. Didn't copy it as I don't intend to make Baltimore pit beef anytime soon. It was entirely different than the bottled stuff, I think it was a spicy white sauce?

Last edited:
I'm not finding those names shocking. What would you make of "Sh## on a Shingle"?

I think that dates back to WW1 or 2. I spent half my life in ND, and had never heard of Tiger Meat! Also, I don't know of any NoDak who ate raw beef!

I don't know of any NoDak who ate raw beef!

If North Dakotans are anything like Minnesotans, Steak or any meat is to be cooked Super well done, and ketchup is the standard steak sauce. Northern Blackened has an entirely different meaning than say NOLA blackened. :LOL:

If North Dakotans are anything like Minnesotans, Steak or any meat is to be cooked Super well done, and ketchup is the standard steak sauce. Northern Blackened has an entirely different meaning than say NOLA blackened. :LOL:

I grew up in Minnesota and I eat my beef medium rare. And I got that from my mother who lived in Minnesota her entire life until I was a senior in High school.

Yes. My mom was Canadian, and cooked the heck out of any meat we had. Dad was born and bred ND. I was just surprised that anyone in ND would eat raw meat! Plus I was horrified about the name, and wondered where they would get tigers in ND. Much relief that no tigers were used!

I figured it was a post by a newbie that I had to check out....

I'm close to making Kitten Teriyaki....

Your cleaver is probably bigger than your kitten. I'm on his side.

Furniture moving, wires and kittens do NOT mix...he is on my last nerve. Now if he would just stop being so cute and lovable...

We had Tiger's Milk growing up...tastes horrible, but I liked it then.

My parents brought a raw beef dish with them from Armenia. It's finely ground, very lean and mixed with minced onion, parsley, bulgar. It's pretty good.

My sister makes it once or twice a year for her husband and me.

I think that dates back to WW1 or 2. I spent half my life in ND, and had never heard of Tiger Meat! Also, I don't know of any NoDak who ate raw beef!
I've never heard it called "tiger meat" but we used to have a variation of this all the time when I was a kid. My dad would take fresh, raw ground beef (he ground his own) and mix it with chopped green onion, Worcestershire, and S&P. We'd usually spread it on Ritz crackers.

I've never heard it called "tiger meat" but we used to have a variation of this all the time when I was a kid. My dad would take fresh, raw ground beef (he ground his own) and mix it with chopped green onion, Worcestershire, and S&P. We'd usually spread it on Ritz crackers.

+1 That's exactly how my Minnesota born butcher Dad did it too Steve. It always made my Mom and I very happy! :yum:

Back
Top Bottom