American English

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickydixtor

Assistant Cook
First I'm sorry to disturb, but I am a writer in my language and in need of a native American-English Speaker, so I thought it's good to register here.
It's about the following conversation:

Bryan: But they are not the same then.
Cathy: No they aren´t.

The "no" confuses me. So I ask myself what Cathy want's to say with her answer:
a) That's wrong. In my opinion they are the same.
b) I agree, They are not the same.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G901F mit Tapatalk

She is agreeing with Bryan.
b.
She has abbreviated her answer, and if she were to be more specific and finish her thought, she would say, "No they aren't the same".

Also it is confusing because it is almost like a double negative -- the "no" and then the "aren't". So it's almost like saying "I don't have no plans for dinner tonight" which is a double negative and not grammatically correct.

Yes it is confusing and yes it is like a double negative.

It might have been more clear if she had said, "No" and then said nothing else.
OR
It might have been more clear if she had said, "They aren't." or finished the thought with, "They aren't the same."

Yes. All replies (so far) vote it is B.

If it were A) I think indicates they are not in agreement. Then there should be further dialogue while one or the other or both of them defend their statement and the conversation would/ should become more clear to the reader.

Thx :)
Just to make sure I understand the opening statement of Bryan correct:
The words "but" and "then" in his sentence "but they are not the same then" don't change the meaning so:
"but they are not the same then." = "they are not the same.", correct?

Last edited:
Yes. And she's essentially saying "No, they are not the same."

It might be more clear to you if you included the part of the conversation before the snippet you provided.

Last edited:
So all in all both (Bryan and Cathy) think they are not the same?

Then thanks in advance for your help and warm welcome :)

Yes. And she's essentially saying "No, they are not the same."

It might be more clear to you if you included the part of the conversation before the snippet you provided.
It,s just an example snippet I found in a book that I could not explain. But all in all it's correct to say that both (Bryan and Cathy) think they are not the same, correct?

It,s just an example snippet I found in a book that I could not explain. But all in all it's correct to say that both (Bryan and Cathy) think they are not the same, correct?

Yes, it is correct to say that both (Bryan and Cathy) think they are not the same.

Example: Bryan, Cathy, and two friends are out having a soda (pop, a soft drink), some having Pepsi and some having Coke.
The friends talk about the tastes of Pepsi and Coke. "This one tastes more lemony", "this one tastes more sweet", "this one bubbles differently", "this one isn't overly sweet."

Bryan and Cathy agree that Pepsi and Coke are not the same.

Thank you for your friendly answers. :) It helped me a lot. I am somehow a little bit unsure, if this all fits for the whole conversation:

Bryan: Is that an old photo of your friend?
Cathy: No, I don't think so.
Bryan: Okay, I always need to think about that person on the picture, who I thought was your friend. But they are not the same then.
Cathy: No they aren't.

If you see the whole conversation, is Cathys last answer "No they aren't." = "No, I agree, they are not the same."?

When Cathy says "No they aren't", she is reiterating that "no, they are NOT the same". She could also say "YES, they aren't" whereby the "YES" is to mean "yes you are correct, they are NOT the same". Basically either would be OK -- "no they aren't" or "yes they aren't".

But I think "no they aren't" is more correct. English is a confusing language. :)

The way you have it sounds good.

Last edited:
Bryan: Is that an old photo of your friend?
Cathy: No, I don't think so.
Bryan: Okay, I always need to think about that person on the picture, who I thought was your friend. But they are not the same then.
Cathy: No they aren't.

If you see the whole conversation, is Cathys last answer "No they aren't." = "No, I agree, they are not the same."?
Americans tend to speak in very short phrases. "Instead of saying "No, they aren't," most of us would simply say "No" or "Nope" (which is not as formal).

But now I'm wondering what Bryan is trying to say in the third line: "Okay, I always need to think about that person on the picture, who I thought was your friend."

The phrasing is somewhat awkward.

Is Bryan trying to say that he can't remember if the person in the picture is Cathy's friend?

If so, he would be more likely to say something like this:
(pointing to the picture) "I can't remember. Is this a friend of yours?"

Again, remember that Americans tend to speak in short sentences in everyday conversation.

Oh I certainly do understand of American English being very confusing! Today Joyce saw my posts and said, "Oh Cat...too many 'ofs' again! Remember what I told you about that?"

I had quite forgotten. I see you are from Berlin. I am from Brasov and Constanta, Romania, but I am an American citizen!

Your English is good!

I always get words mixed about. I keep wanting to call the driveway the parkway. A parkway is a highway, and there is no parking of it unless your car's transmission falls out or you have an accident. That should be a driveway, not a parkway.

The place at your home where you park your car outside should be a parkway, not a driveway. I think many American English words were fashioned with the help of strong Polish potato vodka, yes?

Cat,
You are an absolute delight. I just checked, and I was in Constanza in 1994. We were taken to Murfatlar to a winery to see some dancing, and of course, buy some of the wine, which was delicious.
In fact, in my file, I still have a map of Constanza

It is a beautiful city, yes? I love the harbor there. I have not been to the wine place, but the wine was good, yes?

Romania does have good wines but sometimes the growing seasons are difficult. There was of a grape shortage in 2013 for some bugs were attracted to those genetically modified grapes. It is best to plant the natural ones.

Were you bothered by the stray dogs there?

Back
Top Bottom