Pizza DISASTER! what have I done wrong??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rowley010

Assistant Cook
Ok so after previously posting about me not being able to get my dough consistency right, it was either too dry or too wet, I finally mastered it.

My next problem was that all my pizzas weren't cooking properly. Something was either over done or underdone, but I couldn't get all the elements to cook right. So today I went out and purchased a pizza stone.

So I made a dough, and from the consistency of it, it was the best dough I've ever made. I rolled it out whilst my stone was in the oven heating up, then I put my toppings in. Next thing I try to move the pizza from the side to the stone and the thing just collapses all over the place, giving me something beyond repair that all had to go in the bin.

What have I done wrong? Before anyone says it, yes I floured my surface before rolling out. It felt like it stuck a little bit but I didn't want to add too much flour to the surface as the dough seemed so perfect already.

Obviously I know that in a proper pizzeria they have large shovels to move the pizza from a to b. Is this what I need to stop this happening or is there anything else I can do?

I thought about removing the stone, putting the dough base straight on it and then adding my toppings. But surely the base will then get over done as its started cooking before anything else?

Help please, because I'd bought very nice expensive Parmesan cheese and mozzarella and the full works which is now all in the bin due to it collapsing into a big mess. I can't afford to make that mistake again!

Great video. My dough never cooperates like hers did :)

I usually use a pizza peel, with corn meal to help it slide on and off.
Using it makes me feel like I actually know what Im doing.

Great video. My dough never cooperates like hers did :)

I usually use a pizza peel, with corn meal to help it slide on and off.
Using it makes me feel like I actually know what Im doing.
LOL Is your peel's name Emma? Sorry just channeled Steed and Emma. I miss that show. Gotta check Netflix

Build your pizza on parchment paper, like this. You can use a baking sheet instead of a peel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHsVjXtxINw

I also use parchment paper and use the back/bottom of a pizza pan for sizing before I slide it onto my hot stone. I heat my oven and stone (stone is on bottom most oven rack setting) to 550F. Pizza only takes 3 - 4 minutes (thin crust) to cook. I pull the paper out before I remove pie from oven to the pizza pan to cut and serve.

Homemade Pizza - sauce, sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, sliced garlic, Romano cheese, mozzarella, herbs and spices.

img_1454494_0_dd04f710804a33e87dabcebc5089d8cf.jpg

img_1454494_1_33bca8ba454509763b6ddeb4dcf4412b.jpg

You can buy a wood pizza peel for ten bucks. Get a box of coarse corn meal and you won't have a problem.

Spread the cornmeal on the peel so the pizza will slide off onto the stone. Place the prepared she'll on the peel and build your pizza.

Move the pizza on the peel to the back edge of the stone and shake it forward and back to slide it onto the stone.

You can buy a wood pizza peel for ten bucks. Get a box of coarse corn meal and you won't have a problem.

Spread the cornmeal on the peel so the pizza will slide off onto the stone. Place the prepared she'll on the peel and build your pizza.

Move the pizza on the peel to the back edge of the stone and shake it forward and back to slide it onto the stone.

Excellent tutorial Andy! We use this method. Works every time. Also use the peel to rotate the pizza as it cooks.

Last edited:
You can also use cornmeal and "build" your pizza on the back of a rimmed baking sheet if you don't have a peel.

Practice, practice practice!!! :yum:

That's exactly what I do Andy. I also make a collar with a folded piece of foil around the back of the stone and tuck it under the stone before pre heating it. When you slide off the pizza from the Peel, it keeps the toppings from going over the back.

Last edited:
You can also use cornmeal and "build" your pizza on the back of a rimmed baking sheet if you don't have a peel.

Practice, practice practice!!! :yum:
That's what I do. I turn the pan over and use it to form/build then transfer to stone.

I don't have a pizza stone. I just get the dough ball, throw it around a bit to thin it out and then spread it out onto a well seasoned pizza pan (oiled with olive oil). Then I spread sauce and put toppings on it.

A pizza loaded with toppings is going to be heavy and may break if the crust is thin. You need the thin flat pizza slider thingy-ma-bob perhaps. Also, probably wait to top it until it's on the stone. Just have your toppings ready, so you can top it fast.

Pizzerias have it down to a science. I always am envious when I see their bins of toppings right next to each other. :)

Last edited:
I have a couple of pizza peels... BUT.. I use semolina flour instead of corn meal... I find it moves the dough off the peel better and I don't get that burned corn meal flavor with the 500F stone.

I just like it better.

Another vote for parchment paper. I have a peel but parchment still works better.

Another recommendation is not to build too large a pizza. I go for individual sized ones - 6 - 8 inches. That makes it easier to transfer, and every diner gets his own custom toppings.

If you like crispier crust then pre-cook the crust part way, remove from oven and add toppings, then finish in the oven.

Use the hottest setting your oven has (for most home ranges that's 500° F), and preheat the stone for 45 minutes to an hour.

I use a different method - no parchment, no stone and no peel.

I spread the dough on a oiled pizza pan (you could use a cookie sheet) - using technique similar to that in the video. As the pizza stretches I add some cornmeal under the dough, lifting the edges to do this. the cornmeal adds texture and helps the dough stay stretched out.

Next I add toppings and bake on the bottom rack in 450 oven. The final step is that when the pizza is fully cooked, I slide the pie off the pan and directly onto the bottom oven rack, close the door and let it cook for another minute. The really browns the bottom of the crust and adds a nice crunch. After a minute slide the pan back onto pan and remove from oven. Cool it on a cookie rack for a minute or two before serving.

This method is unconventional but enables you to make a pizza as good as one that comes out of a much higher temp pizza oven. Most home ovens just don't have the heat needed to make a great pizza. This works well and with no special gear.

Inside I usually use a pizza pan, and never have an issue with sticking. It has perforations n it , so cornmeal or semolina would be a disaster, the directions just say grease the pan ( which I do). I do rotate the pizza half way through to make sure I get even cooking. Also, at this time, i check for bubbles, if there is a huge one Ill pop it. The dough says cook at 450, I cook at 425, it just works for me. Ive never tried at 500.

Outside, on the grill, I use the stone,peel, corn meal technique. The grill gets some good heat. My grill is big enough to have the stone one side, and free grill on the other. I start the pizza off on the stone, close the lid, and let the magic happen. Once the dough is done and cheese has melted , I slide the pizza over to the grill side for that last minute scorch on the bottom to get that ' grill' flavor.
Thats what works for me.
Ive done directly on the grill before, it worked fine, but I prefer the stone/ grill method better.

Back
Top Bottom