Things I never thought I'd like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Because I have been shopping for work, there are ingredients I never knew existed and did not know I would like.
Fresh green peppercorns
Yuzu juice
Yuzu vinegar
Freekah
Thai dill
Fenugreek leaves (methi)
Farro
Sour cabbage

Wondering what DCers have discovered they like that they never knew existed?

Edamame - They were on a salad bar and put some on my salad, I then had to ask the waitress what they were. Buy the out of the shell frozen, put them in a container in the fridge and they are great snack.

I recently had a dish in a restaurant the used capers. I'd seen them before and heard of them in recipes but had never eaten them. I liked them but still haven't bought any. Need to find some recipes that I can use them in before I buy.

Edamame - They were on a salad bar and put some on my salad, I then had to ask the waitress what they were. Buy the out of the shell frozen, put them in a container in the fridge and they are great snack.

:yum: Yum!
Soy Beans!
Try them in the pod, super easy to make and then there are loads of different ways to top them as well.
In Hawaii (and alot of the Pacific Rim countries) these are served as complimentary snacks in bars, OH MAN! With a cold brew, yeah baby! I like mine spicy with garlic and shoyu, MMM!

I recently had a dish in a restaurant the used capers. I'd seen them before and heard of them in recipes but had never eaten them. I liked them but still haven't bought any. Need to find some recipes that I can use them in before I buy.
When buying capers, there are caper berries and caper buds. They can be pickled or brined. I was taught to rinse before using. The buds are smaller. They are good with smoked salmon, in pasta dishes, salads (I put them in potato salad). They have a mustardy-peppery taste. I add them to all kinds of dishes.

What are capers, exactly? I used to think they were chick peas or garbanzo beans.

Not beans at all. They are little plant buds that kind of taste like olives. They're mostly pickled with salt and vinegar.

Another fan of capers!

Try them in a "filthy martini", a little vermouth, a little caper brine and a lot of vodka! :yum:

If a recipe calls for capers and I'm out I substitute an equal amount of chopped manzanilla stuffed olives with good results.

Salted (Middle Eastern) lemons. I'd heard of them and I have had a recipe for making my own for about 30 years but never "got a round tuit" as they say. Came across a jar of them in the supermarket on one of my rare visits, so invested. Not got round to using them yet as I haven't cooked any Middle Eastern recipes recently. Waiting until I get round to having a dinner party.

Thanks. Hmmm, I'm not sure if I'd like them. I only like olives baked on a pizza.

They remind me of pickles more than olives; in fact, I replace olives with capers in recipes because DH doesn’t like olives, but we both love capers :yum: If you like pickles, give them a try.

Last edited:
I thought I didn't like lentils; then I got the Instant Pot multi-cooker and made the chicken-bacon-lentil stew from Serious Eats. It was delicious! The bacon and red wine might have something to do with it :LOL:

I thought I would never like Brussels sprouts. I was right, regardless of the preparation. They're always nasty.

Dawg! :LOL:

In my younger years, I never thought I would like artichokes - those prickly odd looking things. They've been among my faves since my first bite.

In my later years, I never thought I would like oysters until I lived in Washington state for a while and tried them fresh. OMGosh....:yum:

Last edited:
Kimchi! I tried making it once and it was nasty. But I used plain old round garden cabbage and red pepper flakes. My sis sent us a kit for Christmas so I tried it again using Korean peppers and napa cabbage (and I know more about fermenting now). We have to store it on the back porch, but that stuff is addicting. Last night DH made ham and cheese paninis with a little mayo and some kimchi...oh it was good. And kimchi fried rice...ohmy.

Back
Top Bottom