How to make pizza in America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alberten22

Assistant Cook
I'm an italian boy; pizza! it is delicious!!! I would like to know what recipe you use in america to make a pizza.
I would compare my recipe with your.

Last edited:
I'm an italian boy; pizza! it is delicious!!! I would like to know what recipe you use in america to make a pizza.
I would compare my recipe with your.

Welcome to DC. There are many variations of pizza in the US. New York style, Chicago deep dish and Sicilian just to name a few.

Welcome to DC! I like my pizza with a cracker-thin crust, well done.

Nice list, Tenspeed!

I really miss the PH priazzo, especially the portofino.:yum:

Welcome, Alberten. :flowers: I hope you come back and stick around.

Nice list, Tenspeed - looking through that sure makes me hungry for pizza.

I'm a big fan of thin crust, too - and veggies - the more veggies on it, the better IMO. :yum:

Chicago-Style Deep-Dish Pizza

Ingredients:

Crust
• 4 cups All-Purpose Flour
• 3 Tbs yellow cornmeal
• 1¾ tsp salt
• 2¾ tsp instant yeast
• 2 Tbs olive oil, divided
• 4 Tbs butter, melted
• 2 Tbs vegetable oil or salad oil
• 1 cup + 2 Tbs lukewarm water
Filling
• ½ lb mozzarella cheese, sliced or ½ lb vegan mozzarella cheese, sliced
• ½ lb bulk Italian sausage or ½ lb vegan Italian sausage crumbles
• 2 cups of the sautéed vegetables of your choice, divided
• 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 Tbs sugar
• ½ tsp dried oregano
• ½ tsp dried basil
• ½ tsp dried rosemary
• ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or ½ cup vegan parmesan cheese
• 2 Tbs olive oil, to drizzle on top

Instructions:

Mix the dough ingredients, and knead to make a smooth crust. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, 60 to 90 minutes.
While the dough is rising, spray two 9-inch cake pans with cooking spray, then add 1 Tbs olive oil to each, tilting the pans to cover the bottom and 2 inches up the sides.
Divide the dough in half and stretch it to make two 12-inch circles. Lay the dough in the pans and stretch it towards the edges till it starts to shrink back. Cover the pans and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

Stretch the dough to cover the bottom of each pan, then gently push it up the sides. Let the crust rest for an additional 15 minutes. Bake the crusts for 10 minutes, until they are set and barely beginning to brown. While they are baking, prepare the filling.

Drain the tomatoes thoroughly, combine them with the oregano, rosemary and basil, add the garlic and sugar, and add salt to taste. Cover the bottom of one crust with the sliced mozzarella and the other crust with vegan mozzarella cheese. Add the sausage to the pizza with real mozzarella, and vegan sausage crumbles to the other. Divide the sautéed vegetables and the tomato mixture between the two pizzas. Sprinkle with the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or vegan parmesan, and drizzle with the olive oil.

Bake the pizzas for 25 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the toppings are golden brown. Remove the pizzas from the oven, allow them to cool for 10 minutes, and carefully lift them out of the pans onto cooling racks. Allow the pizza to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting and serving.

Sicilian Style Pizza

Ingredients:

• 1 medium russet potato
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1⅓ cup water
• 2 tsp kosher salt
• 1½ tsp rapid-rise yeast
• 3 tsp sugar
• ½ cup extra light olive oil
• ⅔ cup marinara sauce
• 2 tsp dried oregano
• ½ tsp red pepper flakes
• 1 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese
• 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
• Other toppings as desired

Instructions:

Place the potato in a medium saucepan and cover it with cold water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat and cook the potato until a paring knife inserted into the center meets no resistance, about 15 minutes. Squeeze the potato through a potato ricer into a bowl, discarding the skin, and allow the potato to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes. You should have 6 ounces of riced potato.

Combine the flour, salt, yeast, sugar, and 2 Tbs of olive oil in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the water and mix on medium speed until the dough comes together and no dry flour remains. Add the cooled potato, increase speed to medium-high and mix until the dough is stretchy and smooth, about 6 minutes. The dough should stick to the bottom of the bowl but pull away from the sides.

Pour the remaining olive oil into a rimmed baking sheet and spread the oil over entire inner surface with your hands. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet and rub the top surface with oil until thoroughly coated. Cover the baking sheet with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise at room temperature until it has spread out to nearly touch the rim of baking sheet, about 2 hours.

30 minutes before baking, adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 550°F. Carefully remove the plastic wrap from the pizza dough. Using oiled hands and being as gentle as possible to maintain air bubbles, push and stretch the dough into the corners of the pan by pressing out from the center and lifting each corner and stretching it beyond the edge of the pan. It should pull back until the pan is filled with dough.
Spread approximately ⅔ cup of the sauce over top surface of the pizza dough with back of a spoon, leaving a 1-inch border all the way around the edge. Sprinkle the top of the pizza with half of the Parmigiano reggiano cheese, focusing on the edges of the crust. Bake the pizza in the 550°F oven for 5 minutes, remove it from oven, add any additional toppings, and spread the shredded mozzarella evenly over the surface. If you have extra sauce, dot the pizza with it in irregular spots.

Return the pizza to the oven and bake it until crust is well browned and the cheese is melted and lightly browned in spots, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Allow the pizza to cool for 5 minutes, transfer it to a large cutting board. If the pizza sticks to the pan at some point, use a spatula to carefully loosen it. Cut the pizza into 8 or 12 rectangular slices, and serve.

I like a soft, breadlike crust, but with more substance and crispy bottom, has to be good and yeasty. On top - double somato sauce rich with oregano and basil, pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Saute'd Mushroom slices, bell pepper, sliced onion, Mozzarella cheese.

Newest experiment came out great - same crust as above, same sauce as above, layer of thinly sliced raw sirloin steak, mushrooms as above, sliced black ollives, bacon crumbles, Mozzarella cheese. This was a winner.

Favorite pizza style desrt - Pizza Pastie - 8 inch bread crust with favorite toppings spread to 1 inch from edge. Fold in half and pinch edges. Brush dough with milk or eggwash. Bake until crust is cooked through. By sealing the toppings within the crust, they remain juicy with full flavor. Everyone I've made these for have raved about them. They are like a calzone, but with sauce, and are amazing.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thin crust. Besides the cheese and sauce, topped with ham, pepperoni, salami, sausage, bacon, onions, mushrooms, olives, pineapple, and a few other things I'm forgetting right now. I'll make pizza at home the day I can make it like Round Table.

Thin crust. Besides the cheese and sauce, topped with ham, pepperoni, salami, sausage, bacon, onions, mushrooms, olives, pineapple, and a few other things I'm forgetting right now. I'll make pizza at home the day I can make it like Round Table.

That is what we called a "Garbage Special" back in high school. Of course a little partaking of the "herb" created the desire to order it!:angel: That being said, partaking of the "herb" also caused other poor judgement errors, such as listening to Black Sabbath at maximum volume.:ohmy:

That is what we called a "Garbage Special" back in high school. Of course a little partaking of the "herb" created the desire to order it!:angel: That being said, partaking of the "herb" also caused other poor judgement errors, such as listening to Black Sabbath at maximum volume.:ohmy:
In which case the pizza had to include anchovies!

For this family is has to be from Santapio's. Their pizza has been voted the best in New England several times and also makes the list of America's 50 Top Pizzas. Thin crispy crust with a slight burnt bottom with corn meal. It is always overloaded with toppings of your choice. :angel:

Wow!That is real pizza culture! It's the same in Italy, but nothing like on that scale - you could teach us a thing or two, I reckon. You've got me interested now! Before, I thought Italian pizza in Italy was the only one, but now I'm thinking again. What an interesting thread - there's always something to learn.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I've had pizza in Italy a few times, and they are very different from what is popular here. We tend to have pizzas with much heavier toppings, often with thick crusts. One regional chain advertises a 19" 3 lb. pizza. By contrast the pizzas we had in Italy were thin crust with minimal toppings. I make pizza at home for lunch, and we prefer the Italian style - thin crust with just a bit of sauce and cheese, and maybe a bit of something else that's in the fridge, like baby spinach.

Back
Top Bottom