Ring Liver Pudding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
Ring Liver Pudding. Who can tell me what to do with this? How to cook it, how to serve it, what do you eat it with?

Last edited:
My grandma would fry the heck out of blood sausage for my grandpa. Bit of oil.

Do you have a picture? I've not heard of this. Is it loose, or in a casing?

Last edited:
Did you buy that? It's actually just blood. It's sure not for me but I have actually tasted it. Once was more than enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Czech version called jelita but impossible to find here in the Pac NW. I simmer in a little water till it is heated through then make sandwiches with Bohemie rye bread. :pig:

I think what most of you are talking about blood pudding. I've never had that, but this is not the same. I didn't buy it, but we saw it in the store and DH said his mother used to simmer it in a pan and the ring would break open and his dad and grandfather would spread it on bread. I will try to post a picture of it that I found online if I can. I can't find anywhere online that it says how to prepare it. I never thought to look on the package and see what it says.

This is the description of what it is.

Made with only the finest livers, pork and beef with flavorful spices, this product is favorite of many, while it isn’t the pudding we are all used to, it still comes fresh with plenty of flavor.

Attachments

• ring liver pudding.jpg
    ring liver pudding.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 4,574
Last edited:
Yup, jaternice is liver sausage without the the blood.
Growing up in Eastern Iowa there were several places
I could buy it. My father made it but his recipe was lost
after he passed. One day I'll make some but I'd be the only
one eating it. The meat market in Protivin, Iowa will mail it
out and should do that. :pig:

its like pate/meat paste (such as Brussels) but more solid Maybe you could have it as a starter as part of meat/cheese/olives/cracker/tapas selection? Or with thin toast and butter and a salad (such as Rocket with a bit of balsamic vinegar)

Last edited:
DH says that his mother just put the ring in a shallow pan with some water and simmered it until the casing split opened, then they spread it on bread or crackers. Does that sound right? The kids wouldn't eat it, just their father and grandfather.

DH says that his mother just put the ring in a shallow pan with some water and simmered it until the casing split opened, then they spread it on bread or crackers. Does that sound right? The kids wouldn't eat it, just their father and grandfather.
I don't think you need to do that with the one in the pic. It says it's fully cooked.

Ok. I bought some Albert's Ring Liver Pudding. I read as much as I could about it and this is what I found out. There are a lot of similar items with similar names. What this is is pretty much all meat. It's precooked, and when you take it out of the plastic shrink wrap it comes it it's somewhat firm, like sausage. It's in a casing that's not tied, but open on each end. You can slice off a piece of it and eat it. Cold, on a sandwich, for instance. When you heat it up, it becomes runny. In that form it's used like a pate on crackers and some spread it on buckwheat pancakes. ??? I like it. It does not have a strong liver taste to me, but then I love liver. It tastes a bit like liverwurst, but it's not the same texture. What I read most recently says it comes from PA Dutch Country. Thee is something similar that comes from the south, North Carolina, and it comes in a square and is called liver mush. That contains corn meal, and can be sliced and fried, like polenta. There are recipes out there to make you own, and some add rice as a filler. I've seen post all over the internet of people asking where they can buy it, so someone likes it besides me!

I'll give it a try if I see it. It sounds good. The name really didn't appeal. Pudding made with liver? Yikes, not my kind of dessert. :LOL:

Kayelle, in my store, it was displayed in the same case as hot dogs, sausage, bacon and the like. I came across it by accident and don't know if it's sold in any other store. Have never been looking for it. I wouldn't imagine there's a big demand for it.

"Liver Pudding" aka "Stuff" on a shingle

Ring Liver Pudding. Who can tell me what to do with this? How to cook it, how to serve it, what do you eat it with?

Growing up in Philadelphia, PA a Saturday morning breakfast treat was Liver Pudding! I liked it and still do, although I have not had it in about 18 years. Dad would take Ring Liver Pudding and squeeze it out of it casing into a cast iron frying pan. (Discard the casing) He would also add a chopped onion and then slowly add apple cider vinegar. Dad would stir and bring it to the consistency of a thin-ish gravy. It was then severed over toast. It was very simple and tasty. I may even try an order some ring liver pudding on line as you can not find it in Alabama. I miss some of the foods I grew up with in Pennsylvania Dutch Country. I hope this helps with some ideas of how to use ring liver pudding.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, some of those things you may have to figure out how to make in your area. Not sure...are any Amish areas down there? I know a lot of other areas have them, but I'm not sure about your's. The Amish market in my area has the rings of liver pudding in the meat section.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom