Utensils for a Tandoor oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Navrig

Assistant Cook
My first post!

I've built a Tandoor oven for the garden and have used it a few times. It makes fantastic tandoori chicken but I need some help with finding some beer utensils.

https://goo.gl/photos/SWD1bRhgreuD4rhN7

The oven is vertical meaning the skewers are hung vertically meaning that the meat has a tendency to slide down the skewers and fall into the charcoal. I've bent the end of our current skewers and whilst this helps it doesn't solve the problem.

I am looking for skewers which have some mechanism or shape to stop the meat sliding off or skewers which may have a rough finish thus helping the meat stay on. Any suggestions?

I am also looking for something which would allow me to cook vegetables and prawns/shrimp. I think a mesh tube would be the sort of thing. Is there such a thing as a tube cage which could be hung in the Tandoor?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I started to type in "tandoori utensils" at Amazon and "tandoori skewers" came up. These have a hook at the bottom to prevent food from sliding off. Take a look: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003LSJTL4/

It appears to me that the hook is for hanging the skewer. The pointed end would be down, and that seems to be the OP's problem. It seems to be that some sort of a spring clip or screw clip on the end would hold the meat in place. Something like the keepers on a barbecue grill rotisserie skewer, but just use one on the bottom of the tandoori skewer. Something like the ones on the spit in the photo here:

RKMHP-Rotisserie.jpg

You might be able to find some sort of a collar that locks in place with a set screw at a hardware store. I just did a Google search for "set collar" and got quite a few hits here in the US. You should be able to find something similar in your part of the world. Like these:

40pcs-lot-3mm-shaft-font-b-collar-b-font-for-RC-Airplane-Plane-Landing-Gear-font.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I'll have a look for the Hot Dog cooker however suspect that I may struggle to get one in the UK.

The lock collars would work but could be a bit fiddly. They are readily available and not too expensive - worth trying anyway.

Back
Top Bottom