Can You Explain This to Me??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a knife wiper!

The idea of doing it to keep the knife from getting dull seems a bit odd to me, maybe an old carryover to the days of carbon steel.

Sometimes I wipe, sometimes I don't; it depends on how much energy I have and what else I'm doing. When I don't, I put it on a folded dish towel we keep on the counter next to the sink, so it's not a hazard.

I don't believe it extends the life of the knife, though.

The dullness Im not sure I understand.
that being said, my wife did put one of my better knives away once, without thoroughly wiping it dry, and it did develop a spot of rust. This spot was not on the cutting edge, so it didn't affect the function.
But, I guess if the water does react with the metal on the cutting edge, it could affect the cutting function.

But then again, what do I know :) Im just thinking out loud ( which could be dangerous)

Me too. But how does leaving them wet make the dull?
My guess is that the cutting edge is so thin, and if SS is left with debris on it, or if hard water dries on it (high mineral content) and leaves mineral deposits on the sharp edge, that could cause corrosion, depending on the ph of both the water, and minerals. With a sharp knife, blemishes that would be meaningless on the side of the blade could harm the cutting edge. After all, we are trying to get that edge to a micro-thin dimensions. But, without a microscope to inspect the before and after results, I'm simply taking my best guess.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I can't explain the rational behind the article.

Seems to me the writer is espousing what he/she heard. Might be an old wife's tale or not.

I think Aunt Bea is on the right track based on this statement.

"Leaving knives out to dry will make them dull faster and over time could cause rust."

I use a lot of carbon steel knifes and always wipe my knife But not because of keeping the edge. ;)

Be it shop or kitchen an edge can only be as sharp as you want to keep it.

I've heard this before. I have made this a practice with my good paring knives, but I tend to beat up chef knives (plus I cant afford a good chef knife yet) so I don't care if they air dry. I never put any knives in the dishwasher except butter knives and cheap steak knives

Yes, dullness makes sense.

Particularly if you have been cutting acidic food like tomatoes. I always rinse my knives and dry them off with a towel, sometimes more than once per meal cooked, and always before putting them away. No steel is truly stainless/corrosion proof. Stain-resistant is closer to the truth.

My father was great with knives. He always invested a lot of money in them, and kept them in immaculate condition. He would clean the blades immediately after use, and always put them away straight away. He invariably sharpened them before use. I've followed in his footsteps, not because I know what I'm doing, but because I learned it from him. I'm useless at sharpening them though, and that's become OH's job in our house. We also have serrated-edge table knives (very popular in Italy, everybody uses them in the home) with blades made from not-so-high quality stainless steel and plastic handles. Very good for slicing lemons and tomatoes etc. as well - and lots of other uses as well. I've never left any of my knives in water for long periods of time, especially when a friend of ours years ago told me that prolonged soaking would damage them, causing rust. I try to take care of them, too, because of the ever-increasing price if I had to replace! Mine are Sabatier knives, not the most expensive in the world, like a good Japanese knife, but very suited to the use that a keen cook puts them to.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

The MAC knives I got at school came with specific instructions with their lifetime guarantee.

- NEVER put them in the dishwasher (especially the commercial ones but home ones are almost as bad). It really does dull them and can pit them as well. We saw it happen to a few people and these aren't cheap knives!
- ALWAYS dry by hand (as Andy's article said). Watermarks can weaken the surface of the knife over time.
- ALWAYS clean your knives immediately (this one I think is a little overkill) tomatoes were mentioned but garlic is another bad one - it dries onto the knife and becomes hard to remove
- NEVER soak knives. It is bad for both blade and handle.

There are a few more, but I think you get the idea...

Most kitchen knives these days are stainless steel, and a lot more forgiving, I think.

I inherited a bunch of my dad's commercial butcher knives, which are all high carbon steel. Very high maintenance knives. I don't use them all that much, except for a certain boning knife that I like. But forget cutting a tomato with it. I've left it sitting on the counter while eating and come back 15 minutes later to find dark spots on it from the acid in foods. A little Bar Keeper's Friend cleans it right up.

Some of dad's knives date from the 1940s. They still sharpen up nicely and hold their edge. But I don't use them for every day tasks. And I rub them with a little food grade mineral oil before storing, as even the moisture in the air will cause them to rust in a few months time.

Last edited:
I'm jealous.......I have nothing but relatively cheap knives....would kill for my grandfather's pocket knife.....it could remove fine down hair off an arm.....I know, cause he did when I got stung by a bumble bee......

I thought the article was crap when I read it. Aside from the statement that moisture will dull a clean knife, they mentioned that old wives tale about dull knives being more dangerous. But...

...if it's on the internet, it must be true. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom