Monday, 3-7-2016 ~ What's dinner, Doc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I have two "Dolly Parton" sized chicken breasts that I'll cook stove-top. Making a butter spread with lemon zest and fresh thyme that I'll tuck under the skin and rub over the top. I already have the dish of spaghetti squash that I roasted last night, all pulled into strings and waiting for a dab of butter. Rooted out some already roasted beets that haven't been put to their intended use, so those will get heated up too. And I have one lonely zuch left that I'll cut up and saute.

What are your dinner dreams for tonight?

As of right now, I'm thinking "breakfast for dinner." Maybe a Mexican scramble of some sort, since I have chorizo sausage and lots of eggs in the fridge.

I showed SO a list of meals I had planned for the week and she chose pizza. So I just made a pot of sauce (I get 6 pizzas worth of sauce from a 28 ounce can of tomato. Now I have to make the dough. I get two pizzas out of a recipe.

I made a pasta salad this morning, so will have that with either a leftover roasted chicken thigh, or a slice of ham from the freezer.

The salad turned out delicious - small shells, chopped bacon, shredded carrot, peas, chopped zucchini and celery....mixed with a blend of mayo, rice vinegar, salt and cracked pepper, and topped with toasted pine nuts. Yum. Come to think of it, I might chop the chicken thigh and mix it all together for dinner.

I made a pasta salad this morning, so will have that with either a leftover roasted chicken thigh, or a slice of ham from the freezer.

The salad turned out delicious - small shells, chopped bacon, shredded carrot, peas, chopped zucchini and celery....mixed with a blend of mayo, rice vinegar, salt and cracked pepper, and topped with toasted pine nuts. Yum. Come to think of it, I might chop the chicken thigh and mix it all together for dinner.

That sounds great, Cheryl! Thanks for the inspiration! :chef: I have some potatoes that are sprouting, so I'm going to make potato salad with some of my homemade mustard. I also have bacon left over from the amazing breakfast DH made for us, so I'll add that, and bits of bell peppers and red onion I'll throw in. I think I'll also thaw some ground beef and make burgers - we have some burger buns that need to be eaten.

I wished I had bell peppers and red onions to mix in with it GG, but I'm out. I really love those in a pasta/potato salad. :yum:

When I pulled the zucc from my veggie bin I noticed a half-package of mushrooms. Tossed them into the chicken pan, along with a thinly sliced shallot, and made a delicious butter-and-white-wine pan sauce. Even though dinner was a lot of leftovers and must-go ingredients, it was great.

Attachments

• 2016-03-07 21.24.39.jpg
    2016-03-07 21.24.39.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 132
I don't know why in the world I've never done this famous recipe from our beloved Kades, but I did it tonight, and it sure won't be the last time. It's ridiculous delicious! I halved the recipe with two brined loin chops and served his on top of mashed potatoes, and mine on a bed of wilted baby spinach. We shared some oven roasted asparagus.

I'f you've never done Kades recipe, you're missing something. Still miss you Kades. xxxxooo :flowers:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/pork-chops-in-onion-sauce-rec-18011.html#post210496

Last edited:
I don't know why in the world I've never done this famous recipe from our beloved Kades, but I did it tonight, and it sure won't be the last time. It's ridiculous delicious! I halved the recipe with two brined loin chops and served his on top of mashed potatoes, and mine on a bed of wilted baby spinach. We shared some oven roasted asparagus.

I'f you've never done Kades recipe, you're missing something. Still miss you Kades. xxxxooo :flowers:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/pork-chops-in-onion-sauce-rec-18011.html#post210496

A version of smothered pork chops. Definitely delicious :yum:

I made chicken parmesan. I didn't know I was out of marinara sauce, so I whipped some up using a can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, olive oil, fresh garlic, onions, Italian seasoning mix. I brought it to a boil and let it simmer an hour. I had never made sauce before. I am sure it would've tasted better if it simmered longer? But it came out alright, I guess.

There are several of Kades recipes I roll out when I am missing her. Love this Pork Chop recipe.

We had cod with a lemon-thyme butter sauce, rice pilaf and chopped spinach.

Great pics Joey and CG! As always, good sounding dinners all around here tonight. :yum:

I've seen Kades' :wub: recipe for Pork Chops with Onion Gravy many times here, and I don't know why I haven't tried it yet, either. It's on the menu now, it does sound delicious.

jd, your homemade marinara sauce sounds good to me! Especially on the spur of the moment - unfortunately we don't always have the option for long cooking times. I haven't had chicken parm in quite a while....hmmm...may have to get that back on the menu.

Last edited:
Kayelle, I grew up eating my Mom's version of that pork chop dish! Just a few differences (Mom didn't add cream or sugar, and used the cheaper sirloin cutlets) but the one thing I do remember was all of those ONIONS! :yum: Who needed a real vegetable when you had a lot of mashed potatoes to load up with that gravy. :yum: Sadly, can't eat like I did when I was 8.

Joey, next time you saute mushrooms, could you please make a big bowlful of them for me? Your mushrooms always look so yummy.

...I had never made sauce before. I am sure it would've tasted better if it simmered longer?...
Actually, there is nothing wrong with a short simmered sauce. I make them up like that on occasion. Sounds like yours turned out great. A generous splash of red wine makes it just a little richer tasting, too. Sometimes, though, more wine splashes into my glass than into the pan. :whistling:

Took a pork butt I'd previously smoked out of the deep freezer on Saturday and put it in the fridge. Finished defrosting on the counter yesterday. So, it was pulled pork, coleslaw and baked beans.

Back
Top Bottom