ISO mini food processor for nut butters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I would like to make small amounts of hazelnut butter, using 1 to 2 cups of hazelnuts at a time. The Cuisinart 7-cup food processor I have is too big for this amount. A youtube video I watched suggested making nut butters in a Nutribullet, but this bombed for me when I tried it even adding a little hazelnut oil :(

What is a reasonably priced mini food processor that would do the job? I used to have the KitchenAid 3.5 cup food processor but returned it because it was too small for baking mixes. I've been considering the Black & Decker HC306 1-1/2-Cup One-Touch Electric Chopper, but it may be too small and not powerful enough.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Wish I could help. This one of nice things about my KA. It came with a smaller bowl and blade for those smaller jobs, as well as the full size ones.

I have 3 and 4 cups Cuisinart food processors. 3 was actually more expensive than 4. I got it from Costco and it was so cheap, I just could not walk away. I think it was like 19 bucks or something. Love both of them.

Andy, do you have a larger food processor as well? I'm trying to decide if I should swap the 7 cup Cuisinart for the one you posted, or have 2 food processors.

I also have an 11-cup Cuisinart I've had for 15 years. You really need both. The larger one to handle recipe quantities for most things and the little one for quick small jobs like nut butters or hummus.

Don't swap it. Keep both. I have 2 food processors and stand up mixer. And i use all of them.

It does sound like I need 2. The question is which of the minis should I get. I see that there are several versions of the Cuisinart 4 cup as well as a 3 cup. Any suggestions? This is really confusing!

It does sound like I need 2. The question is which of the minis should I get. I see that there are several versions of the Cuisinart 4 cup as well as a 3 cup. Any suggestions? This is really confusing!

At least some of the Cuisinarts have a Grind feature in addition to the chop feature. Basically the blade spins backwards and that works better for hard items like nuts. That might be a good feature for your making nut butters.

At least some of the Cuisinarts have a Grind feature in addition to the chop feature. Basically the blade spins backwards and that works better for hard items like nuts. That might be a good feature for your making nut butters.

It looks like the DLC-1SS that Cuisinart recommended has both chop and grind functions. What is the difference in how each function is used in food prep?

You would use the CHOP feature for softer foods like veggies and herbs and the GRIND feature for hard ingredients like nuts, spices etc. The FP has two buttons that are labeled CHOP and GRIND. The GRIND button spins the blue backwards so the blunt edge is doing the work of grinding.

You would use the CHOP feature for softer foods like veggies and herbs and the GRIND feature for hard ingredients like nuts, spices etc. The FP has two buttons that are labeled CHOP and GRIND. The GRIND button spins the blue backwards so the blunt edge is doing the work of grinding.

Thanks Andy :) That's very helpful. I think I'm going to order the Cuisinart DLC-1SS. Just saw that I can download the manual from Cuisinart's website in advance. I'm sure it will be better than using a Nutribullet!

I have a little 4 cup KA FP, it's a workhorse. Had it for years. It does a great job with almond butter, and anything else I've used it for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom