Gone fishin Wednesday dinner 3-23-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Hog fish fillets with pre-roasted fennel and red bell pepper, obviously lemon slices, S and P, a bit of butter in papillote. A gratin of sliced potatoes and sliced fennel with chicken broth instead of cream for a side.
37240-albums1008-picture6385.jpg

Trying a new recipe tonight. A citrus and rosemary baked chicken dish SO found in a magazine in a doctor's office. Rice pilaf and steamed broccoli will make it a more complete meal.

I'm making pan-seared pork chops with Penzeys Greek seasoning, pan-seared and braised potatoes with garlic, lemon and oregano, and Greek salad.

We've decided to eat supper earlier today ...

003.JPG

Trader Joe's Mac n' Cheese with Hatch Chiles

004.JPG

MMM!

005.JPG

Served with Grilled Espresso rub Pork loin chops
and fresh grilled Asparagus...

I have a recipe from my Grandmother, "Garbage Cookies", ready to go into the oven for dessert, served with a big glass of ice cold milk :yum:

Hog fish fillets with pre-roasted fennel and red bell pepper, obviously lemon slices, S and P, a bit of butter in papillote. A gratin of sliced potatoes and sliced fennel with chicken broth instead of cream for a side.
37240-albums1008-picture6385.jpg
That looks wonderful Med. I've never heard of Hog Fish before though. Tell me it tastes like :pig:;):yum:

Kgirl, your dinner looks deelish. How I'd love just a taste of that Mac&Cheese!!

I've been marinating thighs in Lawry's Hawaiian Marinade with a healthy squirt of Sriracha. I also will be grilling the Italian marinated veggies in a couple of hours.

That looks wonderful Med. I've never heard of Hog Fish before though. Tell me it tastes like :pig:;):yum:

They eat things like tiny lobster, tiny shrimp, etc. Very, very mild flavor. No fishy taste at all. Not cheap. When we used to dive, we always carried spear guns and looked for hog fish particularly. They really aren't caught on hook and line, i.e. commercially. Craig found some whole at Restaurant Depot. Next time he gets some I'll get a picture of a whole one. They are actually kind of pretty.

I can't edit for some reason on this computer/browser. Anyway, hog fish are INCREDIBLY stupid. I swam right up to one once, put the spear tip next to its head (while it was eating) and shot it. Felt kind of bad but at least it got it's last meal. They are also a fish that can change their sex during their lifetime. I personally think the terminal males are the prettiest. It's a very obvious change. They kind of remind me of a fish version of a sulpha-crested cockatoo.

Homemade chili for chili dogs, topped with chopped onion and Famous Dave's spicy pickle relish; wavy potato chips for scooping the dripS.

I can't edit for some reason on this computer/browser. Anyway, hog fish are INCREDIBLY stupid. I swam right up to one once, put the spear tip next to its head (while it was eating) and shot it. Felt kind of bad but at least it got it's last meal. They are also a fish that can change their sex during their lifetime. I personally think the terminal males are the prettiest. It's a very obvious change. They kind of remind me of a fish version of a sulpha-crested cockatoo.

Thanks for the info Med. I did some googling and found pictures. How do they compare with taste to Lion Fish? Dawgluver raves about them. I'd love to try both. :yum:

Looks good, medtran and kgirl!

I had a big lunch today, so I just nibbled on a small scoop of chicken salad with wheat crackers, and a couple of dill pickle spears. :)

I did a little freezer fishing and came up with a tub of homemade spaghetti sauce. Down to one last precious container now. We had the sauce over whole wheat noodles after a salad full of extras. Ruined a perfectly healthful meal with a sticky pecan roll. :yum: Can't send Himself to the store for one thing and not have him come back with a number of off-list purchases. :LOL:

I did a little freezer fishing and came up with a tub of homemade spaghetti sauce. Down to one last precious container now. We had the sauce over whole wheat noodles after a salad full of extras. Ruined a perfectly healthful meal with a sticky pecan roll. :yum: Can't send Himself to the store for one thing and not have him come back with a number of off-list purchases. :LOL:

:ohmy: I so want one of those right now. :yum::LOL:

Hog fish is absolutely delicious! We first ate it on an island that was somewhere around Key West. Stock Island I think.

Tonight we had lobster bisque made with cognac, which was nice, and a pizza, which was meh.

Thanks for the info Med. I did some googling and found pictures. How do they compare with taste to Lion Fish? Dawgluver raves about them. I'd love to try both. :yum:

Never tried Lionfish, though I've heard it's also a pretty mild tasting fish. We really don't eat a lot of fish anymore since we aren't diving and catching it ourselves, and I've never seen it anywhere we shop so we can see it raw, plus we very rarely eat any kind of seafood at a restaurant anymore other than a sushi place that is highly recommended and passes health inspections with flying colors (they post results on-line here).

Never tried Lionfish, though I've heard it's also a pretty mild tasting fish. We really don't eat a lot of fish anymore since we aren't diving and catching it ourselves, and I've never seen it anywhere we shop so we can see it raw, plus we very rarely eat any kind of seafood at a restaurant anymore other than a sushi place that is highly recommended and passes health inspections with flying colors (they post results on-line here).

Is there a season on hog fish? It's always open season on lion fish as they're a predatory import. They're speared as well.

As I recall, hog fish have a similar taste, being very mild. I don't do "fishy" tasting fish, but happily gobble down either hog or lion!

Back
Top Bottom