Steak sauce - do you use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Do Y'all use Steak Sauce?

I've always been a Strait Up salt and pepper steak guy, but would like to try something new.

I always have horseradish cream with my pot roast..

What do you think of some sort of A1 or Heinze 57 made at home in small quantaties?

any other nice Ideas.

note, I think for Dipping only, as large amount of heavy sauce would not apeale to me, I don't think.

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

On steak? I've tried it on steak a time or two but, for me, it didn't seem to add anything to the steak. My husband doesn't use it either and neither did Buck.

Use it? Yes. It's a flavor component in a few of my recipes so I always have a bottle of it on hand.

We don't have steak often. I buy the best cuts of steak so want to enjoy the great beef flavor. I do sometimes use Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning. It's a mix of dry spies in a shaker bottle.

If you want to try a steak sauce, try A-1 Steak Sauce. I agree. Jus for dipping. That way if you don't like it, the rest of the steak isn't ruined.

It depends on the quality and the seasoning of the steak. Good steak properly cooked medium rare needs very little embellishment. Some salt and a dollop of herb butter is sufficient. For other, poorer cuts or not as well prepared (sometimes I even screw up a steak :ohmy: ), I keep a bottle of Heinz 57 sauce around.

Personally I'm not a fan of steak sauces and don't think I've ever even bought a bottle of A1 or Heinz 57. Just a good bone-in rib eye with kosher salt and cracked pepper, grilled on the Weber, and I'm good. :yum: I don't like BBQ sauce on a steak either - I just want the good beefy flavor.

For leftover sliced beef such as tri tip in a sandwich, I do like it with a prepared horseradish and mayo blend. Yum.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be the odd man out here. I'm not a big steak eater - I usually make it for my wife or friends, and then eat it by default. However. I love Peter Luger steak sauce. The background sweetness with the hit of horseradish transforms a plain steak from meh to tasty.

A hamburger with Peter Luger sauce, Swiss cheese and sauteed mushrooms and onions is wonderful.

Ha, I guess I'm even odder, Silversage! :LOL: I love a good steak, and for me, A1 Steak Sauce enhances the lovely flavor. My favorite cut is a New York strip, since, in my experience, it has less fat and gristle and more meat than other juicy cuts :yum:

I enjoy a medium rare steak with simple salt & Pepper. But the steak cooked and served this way must have great, beefy flavor. Even great cuts, now days, seem bland to me. A little A1 sauce, lightly smeared across one side, for me, enhances the natural beefy flavor. Worcestershire sauce can help a hamburger, and gravies, and it has to be Lea & Perrins.

Better than steak sauce is a good compound butter, melted over the steak. A beefy gravy, make from real beef juices can help a bland steak as well.

Mushrooms saute'd in butter are very good to enhance steak as well.

A1 adds umami, as do mushrooms and MSG.

That's my take on it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When broiled steaks are ready, I scissor 2 bathroom plastic dixie cups in half and put some Heinz57 into one and A1 Steak Sauce into the other. I just use a dab or two from each cup. I like both of those sauces. :yum:

Last edited:
I do use the different A1 sauces, but mostly on burgers. Its a toss up between "Thick and Hearty" or "Bold and Spicy". I also use them as an ingredient in other dishes, like the mustard sauce for stone crab.

I have never tried it. And I don't know anyone who has. Just out of curiosity, I will have to read the ingredients the next time I go shopping. :angel:

It depends on how I feel that day. We always have A-1 in the fridge and sometimes I pour a bit on the plate for dipping.
Might be more a habit that a requirement as I to like mine rare and extra tender.
I also keep Heinz 57 on hand and use it with pork chops. Sometimes.

Do Y'all use Steak Sauce?

I've always been a Strait Up salt and pepper steak guy, but would like to try something new.

I always have horseradish cream with my pot roast..

What do you think of some sort of A1 or Heinze 57 made at home in small quantaties?

any other nice Ideas.

note, I think for Dipping only, as large amount of heavy sauce would not apeale to me, I don't think.

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

I sometimes make a cream, parm, mushroom, sherry sauce for steak, but use it lightly, more as a side than a sauce.

Never a bottled sauce on a twenty dollar cut of beef.

Back
Top Bottom