Utensil caddy under the cabinets, not enough room.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Like most, I store my large, functional utensils ( spatula, wooden spoons, etc) in a utensil holder/ caddy which is right on the counter, pushed up against the backsplash, under the cabinets.

When actively cooking, I often have to grab one of them ( relatively quickly) to do whatever I have to do.

(Here's the annoying part) When pulling out a utensil, I have to practice the laws of geometry and physics just to get them out of the caddy, without either hitting the above cabinet, or sliding the whole thing out from under the cabinet. On occasion, the damn thing tips over.

Years ago, I saw one that was actually tilted slightly forward ( on an angle ) to avoid what I have described above. Not just cut on angle, but literally tilted slightly forward. I don't remember where I saw it.

I admit I didn't really search the internet with much effort. I was wondering either how you guys and gals deal with this situation or any suggestions on what I can get to avoid it.

Sure , I can take the utensils out prior to cooking, or keep them in a drawer, but i really like having things within quick reach ( which they are), but the obstacles i face trying to actually get them out kind of defeats the purpose.

Larry

Once I start cooking, I pull the caddy out from under the cabinet. Put away when done.

I essentially have four caddies (the basket to the right of the stove is divided into two compartments), so my utensils are well spread out :LOL: I thought it would be easier to photograph than to describe ;) I have a peninsula where I do prep, which holds one of them.

Attachments

• 1459198804942.jpg
    1459198804942.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 1459198826308.jpg
    1459198826308.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I do admit, I can do some selective 'thinning out' of utensils that don't need to be within an arms reach.

Is that a lazy susan the thing to the left of the stove top ( with the pepper, oils utensils .. on it ) ?

I built mine out of barn board. It looks like a tool box. I keep cramming more stuff in it, though.

I had an adorable rooster chef caddy I loved and "someone" broke it. Actually, I just don't use one anymore, and prefer my flat drawer next to the stove dedicated to just cooking tools. All the tools in there are stored handle end to the back so I can quickly see what I need. Another drawer is dedicated to prep tools near the sink.

Last edited:
My large drawer by the stove holds parchment paper, foil, plastic wrap and plastic storage bags.

I kinda like having my utensils out where I can see them and grab them easily. As usual, we each have our preferences :)

My large drawer by the stove holds parchment paper, foil, plastic wrap and plastic storage bags.

I kinda like having my utensils out where I can see them and grab them easily. As usual, we each have our preferences :)

Thats pretty much my situation.

And I usually have several pots going, so its almost like a new a few of everything. Every time I try to thin things out, I have to go searching for them again.

My utensils/ caddy to the left of the stove top, My oils, vinegars, sugar, salt, water to the right .

Thats pretty much my situation.

And I usually have several pots going, so its almost like a new a few of everything. Every time I try to thin things out, I have to go searching for them again.

My utensils/ caddy to the left of the stove top, My oils, vinegars, sugar, salt, water to the right .

Do consider the lazy Susan. It gives me a larger space to grab the basics - and my bamboo utensils, which I use most often on the stove - more easily since it spins around.

I do have something like Steve suggested, but it doesn't hold nearly enough and most of the things in my two jars don't have holes in the handles or the hole is too small or the wrong shape. This is what I have.

Attachments

• Lagostina utensils 2.jpg
    Lagostina utensils 2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 161
  • utensil jars 2.jpg
    utensil jars 2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 149
Like most, I store my large, functional utensils ( spatula, wooden spoons, etc) in a utensil holder/ caddy which is right on the counter, pushed up against the backsplash, under the cabinets.

When actively cooking, I often have to grab one of them ( relatively quickly) to do whatever I have to do.

(Here's the annoying part) When pulling out a utensil, I have to practice the laws of geometry and physics just to get them out of the caddy, without either hitting the above cabinet, or sliding the whole thing out from under the cabinet. On occasion, the damn thing tips over.

Years ago, I saw one that was actually tilted slightly forward ( on an angle ) to avoid what I have described above. Not just cut on angle, but literally tilted slightly forward. I don't remember where I saw it.

I admit I didn't really search the internet with much effort. I was wondering either how you guys and gals deal with this situation or any suggestions on what I can get to avoid it.

Sure , I can take the utensils out prior to cooking, or keep them in a drawer, but i really like having things within quick reach ( which they are), but the obstacles i face trying to actually get them out kind of defeats the purpose.

Larry

Hubby glued a wood wedge underneath mine so it tilts pretty far forward. My utensils are actually in a really pretty flower pot, so tilting it forward works pretty well!

The best set up I ever used was when I had a drawer available to dedicate to utinsels.

After getting tired of having to pull each one out until I found the one I wanted, I finally decided to put them in the drawer with the business ends facing the front of the drawer. Much easier!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom