Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Appliances (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Oven broiler doesn't work (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/oven-broiler-doesnt-work-95429.html)

LizStreithorst 04-03-2016 12:29 PM

Oven broiler doesn't work

I haven't been able to use the broiler for 8 years. 8 years!!!!!! I either have to call in a repair guy, buy a new oven, or find an alternative. Would a toaster oven be a decent alternative for someone who doesn't need a broiler often?

GotGarlic 04-03-2016 12:39 PM

Sure. When I have a small amount to broil, I often use the broiler in my toaster oven rather than turn on the big oven. It works fine.

LizStreithorst 04-03-2016 12:57 PM

That's just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks much.

Cooking Goddess 04-03-2016 01:34 PM

I use my toaster oven's broiler, too. In fact, I find that more and more I'm using my toaster oven when I don't need a big "box". Such as, a 5# chicken will fit into my TO, anything bigger won't. Hence, I buy a small chicken. My 6-count jumbo muffin pan doesn't fit, but a loaf pan fits and bakes up just as tasty of a quick bread as the muffins would be. If you're cooking for just you, you can probably figure out all sorts of things you could do with the TO so you don't have to use your big oven.

Dawgluver 04-03-2016 01:43 PM

I use my TO more than I use my big oven. It broils nicely.

LizStreithorst 04-03-2016 01:53 PM

This is the best news I've had in a while. I have run across recipes that made my mouth water until I ran across "pop under the broiler".

I will spend money on a good one if anyone has any recommendations. The thing has to last for a long time if well cared for. Most appliances made these days are made to quit working after a short time and be thrown away so you will buy new. Makes me crazy.

Dawgluver 04-03-2016 01:59 PM

I'm in love with my Breville TO. Not cheap by any stretch, but good quality.

Cooking Goddess 04-03-2016 02:10 PM

How long have you had yours, Dawg? I kinda remember you, PF, and pac (man, I miss that guy...) all getting Brevilles around the same time. I'm already planning for the demise of my current Cuisinart - she's at least 10 years old. My next TO will be a little bit bigger than my current one, too.

I hear you on the short life span of newer appliances, Liz. The cost more, they last less, and it seems there are fewer choices.

LizStreithorst 04-03-2016 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess (Post 1461201)
How long have you had yours, Dawg? I kinda remember you, PF, and pac (man, I miss that guy...) all getting Brevilles around the same time. I'm already planning for the demise of my current Cuisinart - she's at least 10 years old. My next TO will be a little bit bigger than my current one, too.

I hear you on the short life span of newer appliances, Liz. The cost more, they last less, and it seems there are fewer choices.

I have to disagree with you. Goddess. I find that appliances are way less costly these days than they were when I grew up. These days they are simply not made to last more than a few years. The most expensive imported ones are the worst because when they break parts are not available.

LizStreithorst 04-03-2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1461192)
I'm in love with my Breville TO. Not cheap by any stretch, but good quality.

I looked them up. They are works of art. I think that I'd be better off calling in the appliance repair man so I can use the broiler in my gas oven,