Scored a treasure at Goodwill!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Last Tuesday after I finished our grocery shopping I stopped at the local Goodwill Thrift Store just to do some "grazing." I looked at this and that and didn't see anything that really struck me until...

On one of their "housewares" racks I spied what appeared to be a large rectangular clay baker with its top. Hmmmm, better look more closely. We have a clay baker but it's a smallish round one. I've really coveted a Romertopf one for years but never could justify the expense for something I might not use very often.

Picked it up. Inspected it. "Dinged" it with my knuckle to see if there was any evidence of any cracking. It was nearly pristine. Don't think it had been used much or at all. No chips, crazing or cracking.

Then, on the top and the bottom, in nice big letters "Romertopf." Yeah, rah!! Then...the kicker. It was only $3. I couldn't get it into my cart fast enough.

I've cleaned it up and I honestly think it has never been used. It's the 4.2-quart size and I can't wait to use it.

Congrats! I rarely find a bargain because I hate shopping. I did get my best quality pot and my best quality pan for next to nothing from a place that sells mostly junk.

Wooo Hooo Katie, now the fun begins!

Romertopf Recipes

Thanks, Kayelle, for the link. I'm going to have fun surfing through all the information.

I was quite lucky to get the baker but we live in a very, very rural area and I honestly think folks didn't know what it was. The staff at Goodwill apparently didn't either because of the low price. They price crappy skillets much higher. I could believe that, since it was made of terra cotta, it might have something to do with planting/gardening. Especially with the scroll-like embossing on the top. No matter. It's mine now.:angel:

I was just at the right place at the right time.

I wuz gonna grab that but you snatched it up just before I wuz!

I wish I could find bargains like that. Of course, it would help if I went into thrift shops more often than once every few years. The stuff I've seen in them really should have gone to the dump.

Great find Katie. I have several different
sized ones, that I found at yard sales, two
three dollars each really enjoy them .I make a
five hour, no peak beef stew in then
I also bake bread in them. Have fun with it.

Josie

Watch out for the recipes.

Now we'll have to keep with her...oh boy. LOL!

Great find, Katie!

Yes, it's exactly like the one I bought at Goodwill. And, yes, it does have to be soaked according to the instructions on the manufacturer's website.

Woooo! I want one!

Katie, if you find another one, send it to me. Here's my address:

CrazyCatLady
1313 Mockingbird Lane
Transylvania, NC 13130

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom