Won't be able to log in as often for awhile...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
A couple days ago, I bumped the wall with my laptop while transporting it from the kitchen to the living room. Unfortunately, the wall encountered the pin plug from the AC power adapter. I've got an intermitin short now. If the cable is held just right, the laptop receives power and recharges the battery. If not (and it's getting worse), I run on battery all the time, with no set way to recharge it. I've been looking, and have found a couple "Universal" adapters that will work, but they run about $120.00. "Universal" means they accept power from any outlet, foreign and domestic, as well as auto cigarrette lighter, trains, planes, etc, and can accomodate the variously-sized plug for just about every laptop ever made. That's why it costs so much :(

Since I can't afford anything like that for a week or two, I'll only be getting around 1 - 2 hours on the internet per day, as I've got to keep a close eye on the twins and my baby daughter.

sorry about that allen. my mother has a similar situation with her laptop. she can't afford the adaptor either. hope you get everything fixed soon !

allen, send me your old power adapter, i can (probably) repair it for you. it sounds like a break in the cable, or where it connects into the adapter. if the adapter is sealed, i can cut it open with a dremel tool, repair it, then screw or glue it back together. it won't be pretty after that, but it'll work.

buckytom said:
allen, send me your old power adapter, i can (probably) repair it for you. it sounds like a break in the cable, or where it connects into the adapter. if the adapter is sealed, i can cut it open with a dremel tool, repair it, then screw or glue it back together. it won't be pretty after that, but it'll work.

Oh man, I'm not the only one that has a Dremel!

Actually, I've thought about doing this myself. The first place I went to was Radio Shack. They have the "universal" adapters for laptops. They also have generic AC - DC power adapters in just about all wattages, amperages, and sizes. However, they don't have one that will match what the adapter for my laptop uses. They also carry replacment plugs that you can splice in, but again, didn't have any of the exact size needed.

I've thought about cutting open the plastic where the suspected break is and attempting to repair it myself, but I think I'm going to go ahead and buy one of those universal things anyway. I've been contemplating getting something to charge the laptop in my vehicle, as I'd like to eventually get a GPS device that I can hook up to the laptop, to help me track down ghost town locations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom