Simple sushi rolls...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Rugged Dude

Senior Cook
A few years ago I learned how to roll sushi. I'm not awesome at it (I would NEVER apply for a job as a sushi chef!) But, to make simple California rolls is quite simple. A few steps, yes, but nothing too difficult at all.

For a basic roll, I use either smoked salmon, cooked shrimp, crab or lobster. I'm not a fan of sushi made with raw anything... but that's just me. Most people love it.

All you'll need is a rolling mat ($3.00), some sticky sushi rice, some rice vinegar, Nori sheets (pressed seaweed) to roll it in, some avocado, seedless cucumber and some carrots. All of this stuff should be at your local grocer accept for the mat. You may need to get to a specialty shop for one of those.

I guess the point of this thread is that if you've ever been intimidated by making sushi, don't be. Get on the Google, then get on the YouTubes and you'll find a million short videos on how to roll sushi. Some videos are brutal and some are really good. Then be ready to freak out your guests!

RD

I think it's more difficult to roll a cigarette than to roll sushi. :))

They have a simple device for cigarettes.

I have 2 of them.

Haven't used them for a bit but they are handy if I get the urge.

Do they make a sushi roller? ;)

Must be a bitch to clean if they do. :mrgreen:

I've made a bit of sushi in the past but we've gotten away from it. It really isn't difficult. You just have to prepare and practice.

I've never found sushi hard to roll. I've done regular rolls and inside out and never had a problem. We regularly make spicy tuna rolls, shrimp tempura rolls and vege rolls since they are our favorites. Even make a squid roll by stuffing the body of the squid with a rice mixture including the tenticles. But, I have small hands and am used to working with small things since I do petit point and miniatures.

I've made rolls many times, and I agree. It's not as hard as one might think. Unfortunately, I don't eat rice anymore. I still love sashimi, though. Occasionally I'll head over to my favorite seafood shop in St. Paul and pick up some of their sashimi grade fish. It's even easier than rolls, because all you have to do is slice it and eat it. :yum:

RD, you just reminded me that our son used to make his own sushi. One year he asked for a big container of sushi rice for a Christmas present! :LOL: You never know what a poor college student wishes for until they ask. I should find out if he's still making it and put him to work when we visit our kids again. He can make it for himself, his twin sis, and his Dad. I'll just sit in the corner and eat my fried rice.

Just a thought, Steve, but could you mix a little bit of cauliflower with cream cheese to make a sticky rice substitute? I have no idea if it would work, since I can't cotton up to sushi. Not a fan of raw when it comes to protein.

Back
Top Bottom