Tartar sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi I thought I would make James Martins Tarter sauce. I have watched him on TV. How difficult could it be. This is the recipe (using the tarter sauce section)

BBC Food - Recipes - Haddock goujons, chips and tartare sauce

I have done this but all I get is a guey mess. Not the thick creamy one I would buy in a shop. In desperation I got a hand held blender to it all. This reduced the capers and gherkins down. Should I add some or all of the egg white and blend it in as well or add mayonase or even both?

It would be nice to make my own.

Hi I thought I would make James Martins Tarter sauce. I have watched him on TV. How difficult could it be. This is the recipe (using the tarter sauce section)

BBC Food - Recipes - Haddock goujons, chips and tartare sauce

I have done this but all I get is a guey mess. Not the thick creamy one I would buy in a shop. In desperation I got a hand held blender to it all. This reduced the capers and gherkins down. Should I add some or all of the egg white and blend it in as well or add mayonase or even both?

It would be nice to make my own.
Did you add the oil too quickly? it can cause the mixture to curdle if you add it at more than a dribble.

Maybe I should have whisked it at the same time as slowly adding the oil. Would using the white of the egg work with what I have got?

Maybe I should have whisked it at the same time as slowly adding the oil. Would using the white of the egg work with what I have got?

No. You can use the same mixture you already have but will need to start over with the egg yolks and vinegar. Follow #6 directions exactly. VERY slowly add the oil mixture into the egg yolks and vinegar. I usually use the blender or food processor to make mayo/aioli emulsions, which is what you are trying to do, and drip the oil in very slowly. Some food processors even have tubes that have a drip hole in them for just that purpose.

BTW, I normally use prepared mayo for my tarter sauce too like the others.

Ok thanks will try that medtran49 next time. I've added the coments to the recipie. The problem with James martins recopies are some do not work out as they should. For example: For perfect mash potatoes equal quantity's of potatoes double cream and butter. That means

1kg Spuds
1kg Buter
1Kg Double cream

This would make a soup. Far too much butter and cream.

Ok thanks will try that medtran49 next time. I've added the coments to the recipie. The problem with James martins recopies are some do not work out as they should. For example: For perfect mash potatoes equal quantity's of potatoes double cream and butter. That means

1kg Spuds
1kg Buter
1Kg Double cream

In that case he would be fired from my kitchen. ;) :chef:

1kg Spuds
1kg Buter
1Kg Double cream

This would make a soup. Far too much butter and cream

That or a potato "milk shake"'.

1kg Spuds
1kg Buter
1Kg Double cream

Yes, I've noticed that on his television programme on Saturday mornings. Too busy talking to "guests" to pay attention to what he's doing.

Back
Top Bottom