Beef tongue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizStreithorst

Senior Cook
I thought that what I used to eat and was my favorite meat as a kid was smoked tongue. I've looked around at some recipes for making it and I think I was mistaken. I think that what I loved was pickled tongue. It's was similar to corned beef but way better.

I found this. I can do it without having to buy anything new except the tongue. I'm quite sure I'll be able to get one at Casios, a butchering place only about 25 miles from here.
https://jewishfood.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/pickled-beef-tongue/

My mother fondly talked about how much she loved thinly sliced cold tongue sandwiches as a child. Then she saw a whole tongue at the butcher's, and that put an end to her fondness :LOL:

I've never eaten it.

Last edited:
We used to have tongue growing up. Made like corned beef. Hot for dinner, which I didn't care for very much, and then cold sandwiches with mustard in our school lunch box. Now that was a good treat.

Nowadays I see tongue / lengua at taco trucks and some Mexican restaurants menus.

Then she saw a whole tongue at the butcher's, and that put an end to her fondness :LOL:

Back in the stone age a girl I liked asked me to dinner. :wub:

Her mother brought a tongue on a platter to be carved. :(

It's the only time I've ever been rude enough to say "I'm sorry but I can't eat that." :sick:

I'm sure it's good stuff but the memory of that giant tongue just won't let me do it. :unsure:

And it is not on my bucket list. :LOL:

Back in the stone age a girl I liked asked me to dinner. :wub:

Her mother brought a tongue on a platter to be carved. :(

It's the only time I've ever been rude enough to say "I'm sorry but I can't eat that." :sick:

I'm sure it's good stuff but the memory of that giant tongue just won't let me do it. :unsure:

And it is not on my bucket list. :LOL:

What? no parsley to garnish the platter. Like beets, tongue is easier to peel the skin off after it's cooked. And slice it in the kitchen before bringing to the table is a good idea. Who above said serve it with gravy/ sauce, I think that's a good idea too.

I once asked the meat guy at a grocery how much was tongue, he said $9 /pound, 2 lb minimum. I passed on it I saw it at Costco later for a Much more reasonable price, but I still haven't bought one.

Liz can use her new pressure cooker for this, I 'm pretty sure.

Last edited:
I've been enjoying beef tongue all my life and it was not a big deal to me as a child. After boiling it and skinning it, Mama would slice it in a 9X13 and layer it with sliced cooked potatoes, and cooked spinach, topped with a delicious horseradish gravy made from the highly spiced boiling liquid. It was delicious.

When I was a new bride (50 yrs ago) I thought I could cut the corners of the long cooking time with a new pressure cooker as a wedding gift. That was a total disaster..nobody wants a bloody tongue. agghhh...no, no, no!!

Flash forward several years, I was boiling a tongue on the stove, with a pot of potato's on the side, when we had unexpected visitors at dinner time. He lifted the lid on the big pot, slammed it back down and asked if the balls were in the smaller pot.:ohmy:
They didn't stay for dinner.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I haven't had tongue in years. I loved it as a kid. I loved it as a young adult, but I just haven't gotten around to cooking it since the early 80s. That's probably because I don't see it at the store, so I forget about it.

Back
Top Bottom