Burnt Pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foodie2016

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I am new to the forum. :)

Since moving overseas, I no longer have my electric kettle that had a digital display on it for water temperature. I decided rather than buy just a regular kettle, I'll just use this small pot for boiling water for tea.

It was the right size, good quality metal & the handle was a nice length & grip.

So the other day I put it on & forgot about it on the gas stove :( I was in my office working.

Hours later I started smelling burning plastic & metal. Now there's black marks inside on the bottom, & of course the outside has brown & blue burn marks on it.

I've tried to find a replacement here, but everything is either of cheap quality or I don't like the handle.

Is it even safe to use?

Vinegar wouldn't get the black marks out of the bottom inside.

Any suggestions, or is it really dead?

Thanks

Where did the burning plastic come from and did it get into the pan?

If the pan is just discolored, wash it and use it. Appearance does not effect utility.

Where did the burning plastic come from and did it get into the pan?

If the pan is just discolored, wash it and use it. Appearance does not effect utility.

I had bought a cheap pot when I first got here & it had a cover & I was using that. In the middle of the top it had some plastic in it & no, it didn't fall into the pot.

Well I'm a very holistic person, so if it warped the metal or coating that protects the metal in any way, then I don't want to use it, & I just don't know enough about posts to determine that.

Thanks

If the pot had a non-stick coating, toss it. If it was just a stainless steel pot, it's fine.

However, if you are not comfortable with the thought of using it, toss it.

I know this post is several months old, but just saw it and reminds me of my "kettle" burning days. LOL!!

I was the queen of burning kettles. Put them on and walk away to come back later to either a completely scorched pot or even a burnt out electric kettle which didn't have a shut off. Yes I could even burn out electric kettles, that's how good I was.

My best one was putting an aluminum/tin (who knows?) kettle on to boil, coming back to the smell of hot metal on the electric stove.

I grabbed the kettle and took it off the burner only to see the bottom of the kettle still stuck on the burner. All I could think of was that the bottom would never come off the burner - the burner was ruined - I was in big kaa-kaa and panicking. Not knowing what else to do - I just put the kettle back on the burner and left it to cool, hoping it would stick and give me some sort of leverage to clean the burner.

Well it actually worked...
the bottom had sealed itself back on and came clean off the burner. I even put some water back in and no leaks - so bizarre. I didn't keep the kettle - I threw it out but what a head shaker! LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom