Sunday Dinner Plans for 7-10-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
If the weather holds at cloudy, I'm smoking a whole chicken over charcoal and apple wood chips while listening to the ballgame. Not sure yet what we'll have for sides.

If the weather deteriorates to precipitation, I'll be roasting a whole chicken over gas while watching the ballgame.

What are your plans for this Sunday?

Daughter and SIL are coming over for dinner. Weather is too unsettled to count on the grill, so it's indoor cooking tonight. Chicken tenders, artichoke hearts, and roasted red peppers in bacon pesto cream sauce over TJ's spinach linguine, which they haven't had before. I picked up a few slices of applewood smoked bacon at the butcher counter, which should give it some extra flavor. Green salads on the side, along with some roasted garlic and olive oil bread.

I'm not entirely sure what my dinner plans are yet. I'm going to our wine club picnic potluck this afternoon. If there are things I can eat, I'll eat there. Otherwise, I have a backup steak in the fridge.

I had a half BLT and could only eat half of that. Left the bread behind along with the lettuce. :angel:

We chauffeured our granddog, Baxter, to his home yesterday and were gifted by Glenn's son, Kenneth, with two grocery bags full of all sorts of fresh veggies from his overflowing garden. He also gave us a big package of brats. I'd already had last night's meal taken care of, so tonight we tackled at bunch of he goodies we received.

I made wilted (vinegar, oil, seasonings) cucumbers, sauteed yellow squash with red bell peppers and chives, and the brats, which were so good we ate the whole package. I had three helpings of the cukes they were so fresh and good. Love this time of the year. I could almost be a vegetarian. Not.

Had the family over today. I made up a taco bar with carnitas, shrimp and a slab of top sirloin..Doug the Pug was all for it...
OdCqOdo.jpg

I was able to squeeze in smoking the chicken but it meant sitting out in a drizzling environment for a while. It came out pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 133
Nice looking meals there, Rock and Andy!

I ended up having pork loin roast and coleslaw at the wine club picnic.

I may or may not have had a little wine, too. :angel:

Craig made muffin cup chicken from Myron Mixon on the BGE. Sides were mac and cheese finished on the Weber, didn't want to turn the oven on, and maque choux with mirliton and corn.

Looks delicious, Rock and Andy! :yum:

I had breakfast for dinner. Not much to look at, but it was good and hit the spot. Scrambled eggs with spinach and onions, steamed baby reds with parsley and butter, and watermelon.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 150
Beautiful sirloin, Roch. Himself likes the way Doug is "all in". :LOL:

Andy, Himself was wondering if you bronzed your chicken. I think it looks tasty.

Steve, my money is on the "may have" when it comes to the wine.
;)

Our plan was West Side Market, followed by an early supper at Great Lakes Brewing Company a block or two away. No one told Great Lakes that we were in town, though, and so they remained closed as is the norm on Sundays. We didn't have a "Plan B", so we started to list favorite places. Then I thought "Plan B can be B Spot Burgers, chef Michael Symon's burger and beer joint". Oh. My. Tastebuds. We have had some really good meat from the butcher in the next town over, but never have I had a burger that tasted so fine. :yum: Since any side is an extra, we got an order of Lola Fries (fried in lard, dusted with finely ground rosemary) and one of Pork Cracklings right away. Both good, and by the time the burgers showed up we needed another fries. I know that Himself had a Lola Burger and I got a Thin Lizzy. As to what the kids had? I know they were burgers! A round of beers to go with our burgers, and we ended up not unhappy at all that Great Lakes was closed. I know one thing, whenif we move back we'll be eating at B-Spot on a regular basis. Excellent quality all around. The company we were with wasn't hard to take either. :heart:

Proof of Burger photo: the burger was medium since our server said they tend to run rarer than a normal restaurant. It was nearly perfect; I would have been fine with a bit rarer. B-Spot also has a Pickle Bar, with eight different selections. Seven are made to Symon's specifications by a small company in Cleveland, the 8th are a commercial "Tony Packo's Sweet Hots" pickles. Tony Packo's is the hot dog place in Toledo that Jamie Farr's character "Maxwell Klinger" would reference in the TV series "M.A.S.H.". Farr himself hails from Toledo. Counter clockwise from the top, I sampled the red onions, garlic dills, and green tomatoes - all tasty.

Attachments

• 2016-07-10 18.13.47.jpg
    2016-07-10 18.13.47.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 131
CG, sounds like an excellent Plan B! I'll keep that in mind for the next time we go through Cleveland! I like Michael Symon - and I *really* like pickles (see below) ;)

I made tonight's dinner yesterday afternoon: Asian chicken pasta salad, a recipe I developed years ago based on a dish sold by a company that brought lunch items to the office building where I used to work. I marinated diced chicken breasts in peanut oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and ginger, then fried it till just cooked through. Then mixed it with cooked spaghetti, roasted red and yellow peppers and spinach (this time I used rainbow chard from the garden) and chilled it.

I topped it with sesame seeds and served it with Szechuan pickled green beans and Asian marinated cucumber. Nice and cool on a hot day :yum:

Attachments

• 1468209747701.jpg
    1468209747701.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
We have a deal-If I volunteer on the Fillmore & Western tourist train, I pick up gyros from Yanni's for dinner on the way home!

Nice looking and sounding dinners, guys! Love Doug the pug, Rock, sure hope he was able to get a smidge or two.

We split a chicken salad sandwich at the airport, which was surprisingly fresh and tasty. Nice whole-grain bread, excellent chicken salad with pineapple chunks and pecans.

Back
Top Bottom