Scalloped Potatoes I made last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spice1133

Senior Cook
I only had 1 1/2 cups of Half and Half so used 1 1/2 cups milk and used a 4 quart pan. When I covered to cook 5 to 8 minutes, I put it on my low simmer burner and it still almost boiled over. Also I used 2 1/2 half large onions. I like to cover the potatoes with onions. They came out sooo good, we both over ate. Walked away absolutely stuffed.

Decided to have the leftovers tonight with meat loaf.

Scalloped Potatoes

4 tablespoons butter

4 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 cups half and half (heated)

1 cup milk (heated)

6 medium potatoes.(thinly sliced)

2 medium onions (thinly sliced

Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350º. Spray 2 quart casserole dish with Pam.

Melt butter over low heat, add flour; blend together. Add half and half and milk stirring constantly. Cook till thick and smooth, stirring constantly. Cover; cook 5 to 8 minutes.

In prepared casserole dish layer 1/3 of potatoes, onion S and pepper and sauce, repeat ending with sauce.

Cover and bake about 1 hour. Uncover and continue baking until top is browned, about 20 to 30 minutes.

Spice - I make scalloped potatoes pretty much the same as you do, however, I do not use any flour and use canned evaporated milk with layering of all ingredients and then baking. I always be sure to have a cookie sheet covered with alum. foil on an oven rack below the casserole dish the potatoes are cooking in to catch any bubbling over spills. Always comes out great.

That sounds good too cats, and you are right you need to put something under it. I like your name. Do you have cats? Right now we have two, lost our precious Big Guy a few months ago.

Spice - No I don't have cats currently. It's just a nickname I had when growing up. I do like cats tho' and our family has had them in the past. Right now, we have an Australian shephard dog and a yellow crown amazon parrot.

Just made scalloped potatoes and ham and like you, ate to much. Your right about the onions, i use alot of them also. Sometimes I use cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom to mix in instead of flour.Yep, found out the hard way on the drip pan.

WildKat,
That is what my dad's uncle called me when I was little...but spelled Wildcat. Due to the temper I use to have. He died in 1943 ..haven't been called that since.
Marge~Dove

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom