Need suggestions for finger food appetizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
I'm looking for suggestions for appetizers that can easily be eaten with your fingers. My wife and I are part of a group that gets together at different members houses for a wine tasting. Everyone brings an appetizer or dessert to share. There are a couple of people who are serious about wine, but most of us just get together to enjoy some wine and socialize. The requirements are:

- Can be transported to someone's house, and no ovens are available.

- Can be consumed while standing with a glass of wine in one hand. Under the best of circumstances this is a bit of a challenge for those of us with less than three hands.

Dips, spreads, etc. tend to be a little difficult to eat under the circumstances. I'm trying to avoid some of the obvious rollups or mini sandwiches. In the past I've made some small pizzas and had them ready sliced, and that worked out pretty well. I'm thinking that bite size skewers might work, such as a caprese salad (mozzzarella cubes, grape tomato, and basil). I stumbled across a recipe for a watermelon, feta, and kalamata olive skewer (and I doubt that anyone else would make this!).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Deviled eggs, cheese plate with assorted crackers, prosciutto wrapped bread sticks etc.

Buy a thin lavash or roll-up bread. Layer it with flavored cream cheese or a spread like boursin or rondele, add slices of ham and a row of cucumber sticks down the middle. Roll it all up into a big long roll and slice it into 1" slices.

Maybe get some wonton wrappers (Asian style) and put a mixture in them and fry them. Probably will stay hot enough if you put them in a correct container. I like a hamburger, garlic, onion mixture that my wife makes.

Maybe a good quality genoa salami wrapped around a piece of cheese served on a toothpick skewer. No bread necessary.

Or maybe some Ritz crackers with a bit of Marmite (or Vegemite) spread on them. Might be a conversation piece, as most people haven't tried Marmite. It's a savory/salty flavor.

Also perhaps tortilla chips with a bit of melted cheese on top and a single jalapeno in the middle. Tasty little bite.

Last edited:
Cut figs through their equators, leaving their stems on. Broil until slightly softened but still holding their shape. Allow to cool. Fill with goat cheese.

Any kind of sate, made ahead on 5" skewers and served cold with peanut sauce.

Last edited:
I made mini cheese balls for a party in January. I used small pretzel sticks instead of toothpicks - nothing to throw away! :)

Here's one recipe: Mini Cheese Balls

I made mine with Havarti and cream cheese and rolled them in minced bell peppers.

Attachments

• 2016-01-09 19.16.51.jpg
    2016-01-09 19.16.51.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
The old standard from the ’60’s, Lil Smokies and/or mini meatballs in the CP in a sauce made with Welch's Grape Jelly and Heinz Chili Sauce. These always disappear quickly.

Around here, sliced deer sausage, sliced cheese, and Ritz crackers are very popular.

A friend brings trays of egg rolls from a local Chinese restaurant, they disappear quickly as well.

Last edited:
The old standard from the ’60’s, Lil Smokies and/or mini meatballs in the CP in a sauce made with Welch's Grape Jelly and Heinz Chili Sauce. These always disappear quickly.

Continuing that retro thought, how about Rumaki....those delectable bacon wrapped cocktail bites from the 60's. They were a hit then, and just as tasty now. Perfect for your party 10speed. I liked the chicken liver version, but this recipe is without.

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts {Rumaki} ? The Wicked Noodle

Last edited:
I like your watermelon/ feta /olive skewers that you mention.
I was thinking watermelon sticks spritzed with lime juice and a shake of cayenne or a milder hot pepper. Jicama sticks made the same way.

Stuffed cherry tomatoes.

Grilled asparagus spears, then wrap w/ prosciutto.

Smoked salmon, cr cheese, dill roll ups. Hot smoked salmon crumbled rather than thin slices works better for these.

I've posted this before, good for parties. Artichoke squares.
Artichoke Nibbles Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Whiska's post reminded me, Tajin! Cubed fruit like pineapple, grapes, mango, melon of whatever kind on skewers, with a sprinkle of Tajin.

Last edited:
An easy substantial snack is a sandwich made with Martin's Potato Rolls.

Look for the small 24 roll party packs.
4475.jpg

Split each section of twelve rolls with a serrated slicing knife, add sandwich fillings, condiments and garnishes, plop the top on, cut each section into 12 individual sandwiches. They can be pretty basic using deli meats and cheese or upscale lobster salad, the combinations are endless.

Last edited:
...Grilled asparagus spears, then wrap w/ prosciutto...
This combo is extra-special if a bit of lemon zest is dusted over the prosciutto before you wrap the spear. :yum:

Bisquick Cheese Balls are completely and utterly evil...which is probably why they are just so danged good. In our family they are known as "Aunt Judy's Sausage Balls"; Judy doesn't use any herbs/spices in her version, which is what we all scarf up fast. Best warm, but still yummy when room temp, they are something you could bake (weather and temperatures permitting) and take the day of the party. The next day, plan on riding a few more miles on your bike. ;)

An easy substantial snack is a sandwich made with Martin's Potato Rolls.

Look for the small 24 roll party packs.
4475.jpg

Split each section of twelve rolls with a serrated slicing knife, add sandwich fillings, condiments and garnishes, plop the top on, cut each section into 12 individual sandwiches. They can be pretty basic using deli meats and cheese or upscale lobster salad, the combinations are endless.

Nearly every Cuban-hosted party I've ever been to has had these or similar with a pimiento cheese like filling. They always disappear.

wow yummy i really love appetizer some times i wonder that if i eat to many appetizers i would get fat and then explode lol :D but what the hack i eat it for taste and fun.

i make this appitizer most commenly on every 3 to 4 days u can make it to its quit easy here is recipe
Spicy-Churros-1-1.jpg

Ingredients
Salt: 1/2 tsp
Sugar: 2 tbsp
Butter: 4 tbsp
Milk: 1 1/4 cup
Flour: 1 1/4 cup
Eggs: 2
Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
Piping Bag
National Chat Masala
Mayonnaise
National Chili Garlic Sauce
Method
Take a frying pan.

Add salt, sugar, butter and milk. Let it cook.

Add flour to it and make a paste.

Add the eggs and beat the paste well.

Finally, add cumin seeds, pipe them out and fry.

Sprinkle National Chat Masala.

Serve with mayonnaise and National Chili Garlic Sauce.

i saw thsi recipes on this recipes site
https://www.madeeasy.com.pk/spicy-churros/

Make a zucchini/ basil frittata, chill it and then cut it into tiny squares. Stack on a plate and watch them disappear.

Rangoons are so easy to make, and so easy to eat. Simply lay out wonton wrappers and place a tbs. of filling in the center. Wet the edges with ordinary water, and bring the corners up and together. Let sit for a moment for the corners to stick together. Deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Good hot or cold.

Fillings:

Crab and cream cheese, with a touch of sugar added. Everyone loves these.

Smoked salmon and cream cheese

Honey and shaved ham

Apple chunks with brown sugar and cinamon. Shake cinamon-sugar on the outside as well.

Peach chunks with sweetened Neufchatel Cheese

Clotted cream, with old Bay, and sole

Southwestern seasoned ground beef with cheese

Mini meatballs (like marbles) with mozarella and marinara

Pitted cherries and chocolate

The list goes on...

Peppers and cheese (hot or mild as you like)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom