Steak Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piece5

Assistant Cook
garlic salt
>n'orleans cajun
>Italian herbs
>black peppercorn
>Montreal steak
>Greek
>morton's sea salt
>parsley (ground)
>cayenne pepper powder
>Mediterranean spiced sea salt
>chipotle sea salt blend
>Tabasco sauce
>olive oil

Got any ideas?

+1 on the kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Let that 3" thick rib eye shine!:yum:

Me four. No need to muddle the flavor of a good steak. Save the seasonings for your baked potato and salad ;)

And welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

I'm in the S&P club myself. :D

But it never hurts to stray off the reservation from time to time and your rub looks interesting. :yum:

Seems like a lot of salt and what exactly does "Greek" and "n'orleans Cajun" involve?

Welcome to the insane asylum and wishing you good eats. :chef:

Depends on how good your steaks are and how you are cooking them.

I would for a thinner steak not be adverse to a bit of the sea salt, parsley and Tabasco.

Do you have access to lemons, or better limes? add a lime to that and you can get a bit more acid into things.

S&P always works, but I like to mix things up a bit myself.

Also get one of these, eventually

Microplane Meat Tenderizer

They work great at tenderizing poorer cuts of meat, and prepping meat before a marinate or a rub, and they look like some scary medieval torture implement. Plus you are nearly guaranteed to cut yourself at least once trying to clean it.

Cheers

TBS

+1 on the just kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper for a good rib eye.

Like Fox mentioned, it depends on the steak. When I want grilled carne asada for tacos, the skirt steak gets gets marinaded - usually with a little oil, lime juice, garlic, s and p, and a little Worcestershire.

Last edited:
I was thinking the OP meant straight up for the steak. Lots of dishes do use other seasonings on the steak. Bistec de Palomilla calls for some blend of adobo.

Occasionally, when eating sirloin, I like to make a Southwestern or Mexican inspired rub. I'll coarsely grind cumin, corriander, garlic, dried pepper like Ancho, Chipotle, Guajillo, and a bit of brown sugar...I like my steaks very rare so I cook them up hot and fast. This creates a nice crust almost like blackened style...

If it's a good cut of steak, I'm in the S and P group, with maybe a tiny bit of garlic and/or onion powder once in a great while if I'm in the mood for that. I want to taste the beef, not a lot of spices.

I'm in the S&P club myself. :D

But it never hurts to stray off the reservation from time to time and your rub looks interesting. :yum:

Seems like a lot of salt and what exactly does "Greek" and "n'orleans Cajun" involve?

Welcome to the insane asylum and wishing you good eats. :chef:

I think he/she is saying that that's what is available, and is asking what combination to use. At least, going by the list and by the forum heading that is my impression.

I mostly use salt and pepper but also will add garlic and onion powder depending on my mood. we don't eat as much steak as we used to since DH's mini heart attack.

I tried the Monterey steak seasoning mix once and now use it frequently.
McCormick from Costco.
Its actually very good. Large chunks of salt, cracked pepper and garlic I think?

Last edited:
I tried the Monterey steak seasoning mix once and now use it frequently.
McCormick from Costco.
Its actually very good. Large chunks of salt, cracked pepper and garlic I think?

Are you talking about Montreal steak seasoning RB? It also has dill seeds in it. I think that sets it apart from other steak seasonings.. I really like the blend for whole tri tip on the grill.

Are you talking about Montreal steak seasoning RB? It also has dill seeds in it. I think that sets it apart from other steak seasonings.. I really like the blend for whole tri tip on the grill.

It's also really good on grilled pork chops too. I use it more for pork than I do for beef.

To both Kayelle and RPCookin

Montreal seasoning is freaking EXCELLENT in a slow roast. If I get a shoulder, or rump roast and need to put it in slow cooker, I'll usually use that. The dill just makes it. poke it some holes and put that in with some garlic cloves and then a little on top? Great stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom