This sounds like a great idea - Preserved Lemons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw that, but I'm not sure what I would use the lemons for. I mean, I know I would use lemon juice in a lot of things, but can you do that after putting sugar in with the lemons?

I saw that, but I'm not sure what I would use the lemons for. I mean, I know I would use lemon juice in a lot of things, but can you do that after putting sugar in with the lemons?

Preserved lemons are traditionally made with salt, not sugar. I started a quart jar a couple weeks ago. It's primarily used in Moroccan tagine (stew), but you can also put it in rice and couscous. There are lots of other ideas in the article and in the comments on this page: http://foodinjars.com/2011/02/preserving-lemons/

Last edited:
For some reason I was thinking sugar, even after I read that. Now you guys know why no one wants to eat my cooking!

Although then I have to ask, if you have 4 or 5 lemons in a jar and you open that jar to use just one, will the others keep, or do you have a limited time to use those?

It was so much easier when I had a lemon tree. But when I did, all I used the lemons for was lemonade. *sigh*

Last edited:
Yes. They're called preserved lemons because the technique *preserves* them. They're submerged in briny lemon juice and microbes can't grow in that environment.

They're not like fresh lemons, though. I'd guess that all your questions are answered in the article ;)

Last edited:
In other words, reading comprehension, right? :LOL:

OK, my excuse is that I only had 4 hours of sleep last night. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

why preserve lemons, if they are available year around?

First, the flavor is diifferent than a fresh lemon. Second, the part of a preserved lemon that actually gets used is not usually the pulp. It's the rind and the pith - which you normally don't use from a fresh lemon. Third, they are preserved, so you can keep them when they're not in season

Why do people preserve anything these days? It's fun :)

Also, this method of preserving them ferments them somewhat. It changes the flavor - like how fermented pickles are different from pickles preserved with a vinegar brine.

It also softens the skins and you primarily use the skins of preserved lemons.

It's interesting for those who have a use for them. I don't have a use for them though. Fresh lemons are available all over this country all year now, so why preserve them?

I enjoy my fresh lemons all year from my yard for cooking.

It's interesting for those who have a use for them. I don't have a use for them though. Fresh lemons are available all over this country all year now, so why preserve them?

I enjoy my fresh lemons all year from my yard for cooking.

I can get fresh lemons all year, too, but that's not the reason to use preserved lemons. They taste different, and the texture is different. They're not like fresh lemons at all.

I can get fresh lemons all year, too, but that's not the reason to use preserved lemons. They taste different, and the texture is different. They're not like fresh lemons at all.

I'd love to hear first hand examples of how to use preserved lemons and why they are special. Preserved lemons sound interesting, but only if I have examples of how to use them in my cooking. ;)

I have eyed the jar of preserved lemons at the Greek deli, but haven't tried them yet. But here is a nice list of what you can do with the for starters:
30+ Recipes With Preserved Lemons Hope this helps get you started.

Also, about those Meyer lemon "shells". If you use syrups for baking or cooking, and you want to recycle the rinds and piths, this looks like an interesting idea:
How to Make Fresh Lemon Syrup I can see this paired with iced tea to make a killer Arnold Palmer.

Last edited:
First, the flavor is diifferent than a fresh lemon. Second, the part of a preserved lemon that actually gets used is not usually the pulp. It's the rind and the pith - which you normally don't use from a fresh lemon. Third, they are preserved, so you can keep them when they're not in season

The way they describe the preservation, you still will not be able to use the rind. I've done it in a very similar way many times and rind is not usable. You do collect a lot of juice though. In my case preservation was not a goal, but a necessity.

I have eyed the jar of preserved lemons at the Greek deli, but haven't tried them yet. But here is a nice list of what you can do with the for starters:
30+ Recipes With Preserved Lemons Hope this helps get you started.

Also, about those Meyer lemon "shells". If you use syrups for baking or cooking, and you want to recycle the rinds and piths, this looks like an interesting idea:
How to Make Fresh Lemon Syrup I can see this paired with iced tea to make a killer Arnold Palmer.

CG, the link you left convinced me...wow there are some really impressive recipes there. Guess it's time to pick some lemons. ;)

Back
Top Bottom