Massive block of chicken to defrost.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nova

Assistant Cook
I have a 60LBs block of bulk frozen chicken breasts. How best to go about defrosting them so I can rebag into usable sizes? and split off the group purchase amounts.

I have it in the garage fridge, Probably not a great idea to room temp defrost it I imagine.

Whoa! That's a lot of chicken breasts!

Welcome to DC! I'm thinking just barely defrost them in the fridge, then get a clean chisel and a hammer, and on a clean surface, knock off the breasts and repackage them. I wouldn't totally defrost the whole package if you plan to refreeze them.

yea the problem with that idea is.. its a massive block! and all of it is spoken for by various people. Gotta rebag most of it off into 10LB bags.

60LBs for 78 bucks.

Hm. Hopefully someone here will come along with a better idea.

My husband came home one time with a huge salmon from a fishing trip, and despite me telling him not to freeze it, he disobeyed and froze it. We used a miter saw to cut it up.

If you can get to the still-frozen but almost thawed stage for the chicken (it may take awhile, think about how long it takes to thaw a 20 lb turkey), it might work. Definitely don't defrost it on the counter without refrigeration. You may need to chisel it off in layers as it defrosts.

Excellent price though!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

Do you have a water-tight container large enough to hold the block? A large cooler? Oh, just occurred to me - do you have a bathtub?

Put the block in the container or bathtub and fill it with cold water. As the breasts on the outside start to thaw, remove them from the block, dry them off and repackage. The water should stay quite cold, but if it starts to warm up, scoop some out and replace with more cold water.

I have no idea how long it will take to separate that much chicken, but you don't have to thaw it all the way - just enough to separate them. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I gotta thaw it enough to peel the breasts off and bag them up. Dislike any waterbath ideas due to forgetfulness when its not gonna be used in 30 min.

I gotta thaw it enough to peel the breasts off and bag them up.

This is what I'd do, just keep checking it and pry off the ones that you can as they loosen up, but before they are actually thawed. Then they can be refrozen in the 10 pound lots that you need. Sometimes there are awkward side effects to a good deal. :glare:

Last edited:
Forgetfulness? Set a timer. Used within 30 minutes? You would be refreezing them immediately after they thaw just enough to separate them. As long as you do that, there will be no issue with food safety.

With this much chicken frozen together in a single block, you will need to devote some time and attention to separating them. The only other way I see to do it is in the refrigerator, and that will take several days. Your choice :)

Last edited:
I think the water bath idea is probably your best bet, too. I had to do the same sort of thing for a graduation party several years ago. I just put the meat in a plastic tub along with enough cold water to submerge it. It didn't take long before I could start breaking it down. You may have to change out the water several times, though.

This what I would do. If forgetfulness is an issue, then set a timer or an alarm.

Second best idea I can come up with is to set it in your sink (if it will fit in your sink, that is) and blast it with the spray hose. As they start to thaw, just pry them off and put into gallon ziplocs.

Honestly, the only other option is to do it in your fridge. You can't leave it out at room temperature, because that just isn't safe.

EDIT: I guess great minds think alike. GG posted something very similar while I was writing mine.

Last edited:
Forgetfulness? Set a timer. Used within 30 minutes? You would be refreezing them immediately after they thaw just enough to separate them. As long as you do that, there will be no issue with food safety.

With this much chicken frozen together in a single block, you will need to devote some time and attention to separating them. The only other way I see to do it is in the refrigerator, and that will take several days. Your choice :)

I have it in the garage fridge, sucking up the whole bottom deck. I've had to turn the fridge temp up so it gets a little warmer, I don't mind a week long thaw. Not a big worry when its in the spare fridge not absorbing important space. Big thing! I don't have coolers/etc big enough for it. The other problem I've had with water bathes is you need to shield the meat from direct contact with it as it'll trade good juices for water.

This is what I'd do, just keep checking it and pry off the ones that you can as they loosen up, but before they are actually thawed. Then they can be refrozen in the 10 pound lots that you need. Sometimes there are awkward side effects to a good deal. :glare:

heh, got it from work. Can also get things like a case of bacon (12 1LBs retail packs) for 25 bucks.

I have it in the garage fridge, sucking up the whole bottom deck. I've had to turn the fridge temp up so it gets a little warmer, I don't mind a week long thaw. Not a big worry when its in the spare fridge not absorbing important space. Big thing! I don't have coolers/etc big enough for it. The other problem I've had with water bathes is you need to shield the meat from direct contact with it as it'll trade good juices for water.

Did you miss or ignore the excellent idea from GG about using your bath tub?
The water bath won't hurt the frozen chicken but if you're worried about it, simply put the frozen block of chicken in a large plastic lawn bag.

Did you miss or ignore the excellent idea from GG about using your bath tub?
The water bath won't hurt the frozen chicken but if you're worried about it, simply put the frozen block of chicken in a large plastic lawn bag.

No way in hell would I do that, my butt hangs around in there.

Sorry - guess I'm just repeating everything that has already been said...

You shouldn't thaw directly in water in the first place. They should be encased in a plastic bag.
You will have to set a timer. Then test and pull off - still inside the plastic bag - the breasts as they loosen. Remove those and rewrap. Wear plastic bags or gloves yourself so you don't contaminate.

LOL -Your butt must be pretty strong if it gets thru the plastic bag- or are you worried about you picking up a few feathers from the chicken? :LOL:

60 lbs at 10 lb ea. - you have 5 others than can take a turn next time!

You get this from work? How do you defrost it at work?

How endearing. You came here and asked for help, remember. You sure are going out of your way to make this a fun interaction.

Sorry, on top of my question exists an nasty cough that has sapped me of energy and consideration.

Butt no, the tub idea is unappealing to me from the nature of it being used daily.

You obviously really don't want any suggestions about the best way to defrost them. By the way, your porcelain bath tub can be disinfected with bleach just the same as your kitchen sink.:ermm:

Fiberglass tub, so it can take the bleaching fine, I just don't have the available time to do it like that. up at 3am to leave by 330am, home by 3pm, relax and start to figure out dinner and get it rolling by 5pm to have it ready at 6. then crash out 8-9pm to repeat the evil cycle. The block is big enough that it can't be submerged before water goes over the overflow drain. And you don't disinfect stainless steel with bleach, great way to ruin it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom