What's for dinner? Tuesday, 8-9-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm thinking shrimp tacos and Black Bean and Corn Salad. :yum: The shrimp is thawing and I'm just now fixin' to make the salad. It'll be an early dinner today.

What's on your plate? :chef:

It's 91ºF here and SO and grandson decided I should make pizza. So, we're having pepperoni pizza for dinner.

I don't know what I'm making for the elders, but I'm having some of the cold beet and buttermilk soup I made this morning. It is too hot to cook here, too. I am thinking the elders might eat a cold chicken pasta salad...

Daughter K moved into an apartment upstairs from me over the weekend. She has finally expressed an interest in learning to cook, and should be stopping over soon to help me get dinner together. I think the plan is still to make Thai Coconut Curry tonight. :chef:

SIL is traveling this week, so daughter and grandbaby came over for dinner. Lobster (on sale this week at $4.99 / lb.), corn on the cob, garden salad, and a can of beans (Bush's Grillin Beans enhanced with bacon and onions). Grandbaby had a tube of squished squash. Summertime, and the livin is easy.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2bigf337aU

Last edited:
Steve, your post gave me a big grin!! Happy cooking to you and your girl.:chef::chef:

I'm grilling some rib eyes tonight. They are thinner than I would like them to be because we like rare. Any advice on how to get them seared on the outside and rare on the inside without a blow torch?

Steve....how nice your daughter is right upstairs, and that you and she can be cooking partners!

Kay...sear those rib eyes as hot as the grill will get for a minute or two, barely flip, and plate them with the pretty side up. :chef:

tenspeed....sounds delicious, and thanks for the video of the fabulous Ella!

Last edited:
Continues to be miserably hot, along with oppressive humidity. Yuck!

We're still "eating down" the freezers, the kitchen one is the first victim, so tonight we had country-fried steak and gravy, mashed taters and leftover squash and onions from yesterday. Lots of iced tea to cool us and some lemon-zucchini bars for dessert.

It's 91ºF here and SO and grandson decided I should make pizza. So, we're having pepperoni pizza for dinner.
Your grandson knows what's goin' on......hotter than ever here and I craved pizza so I made a batch of dough this morning before heading out to the deli. It made three small pizza's. One is a Margerita, a mushroom and Serrano ham(I snuck a fresh cayenne pepper from the garden in there and waited for gf's reaction...yeeeooowwww!!!:ROFLMAO:). The third one is anchovies, tomatoes and oregano from the backyard jungle.....Here's a half eaten version. I had to cook one at a time on the stone so we ate as we cooked...
yRe7ebc.jpg

I'm thinking shrimp tacos and Black Bean and Corn Salad. :yum: The shrimp is thawing and I'm just now fixin' to make the salad. It'll be an early dinner today.

It was delish. :yum: There's enough shrimp leftover to warm up and make another one tomorrow - two would have been too much for one meal for me.
I sprinkled the shrimp with Penzey's Arizona Dreaming, let them sit for a bit, and gave them a quick pan fry. The sauce was a blend of plain Greek yogurt, mayo, a little adobo sauce, and lime juice.

Attachments

• Black bean and corn salad, shrimp taco.jpg
    Black bean and corn salad, shrimp taco.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I rubbed chicken thighs with Penzeys Barbecue of the Americas and olive oil and DH grilled them.

I also made potato salad with minced celery, crumbled bacon, diced tomatoes and basil chiffonade, and dressing made with red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise and Penzeys Fox Point seasoning. Good stuff.

Lovely meals, Rock and Cheryl! Great idea to use Arizona Dreaming on shrimp, Cheryl.

We're just grazing on leftovers.

Steve....how nice your daughter is right upstairs, and that you and she can be cooking partners!

Kay...sear those rib eyes as hot as the grill will get for a minute or two, barely flip, and plate them with the pretty side up. :chef:

tenspeed....sounds delicious, and thanks for the video of the fabulous Ella!

Good advice Cheryl, and they turned out ok. That dang propane grill is a sad excuse for my old charcoal grill though. Fire up that puppy, and set those babies on fire!! Whooo Hooo!!

Tuesday's Dinner, 8-9-16

Everyone's meals sounds delish... and more uses for Penzey's Spice blends, perfect!

IMG_2936.JPG

I've had a can of Bush's Asian BBQ Beans in the cupboard for a bit and decided to try them with some Asian style Fried Chicken (aka Chicken Katsu) and a new recipe that I found and made my own with a few twists and turns,
Summer Slaw.
I had enough to share with Mr&Mrs Landlord upstairs, `member they have very late work days on Tuesdays and Thursday, so I try very hard to have extra to send up in the dumb waiter.
Everyone enjoyed!
BTW, if you see those beans, grab a can or two, they really are good, a bit of Hoisin Sauce in it I think, tasty for sure.

An old standby, tasso pasta, julienned homemade tasso from the freezer, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, onion and minced garlic, all sauteed, with cream/parm sauce over gemelli pasta, and more parm on top!

I hope you have a really good AC.

No dinner here. Have to send out for food for the next week. Fortunately the building management is paying for it. My kitchen is out of commission for the next five days. The flood did more damage than they first realized. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom