Hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CakePoet

Head Chef
I will apologize in advance, English isnt my first language nor do I come from a English speaking culture so I might sound rude.

I'm a Swede, a proud one too, I do like my boring big old country ( 5th biggest in Europe), lots of space not that many people ( 17 in population size).
I love cooking and I used to write poetry , hence the name CakePoet, my friends call me that.

I am willing to debunk myths about Swedish food, explain the Swedish love for coffee and lingon jam and help anyway I can when it comes to Swedish food and culture.

So is there a place for me here?

This sounds like a nice place!
Should say I do cook a lot from scratch, nearly creating the universe due to my intolerance and allergies.

I have eaten surströmming, it a normal part of gowning up as Northerner in my generation. No, I dont like it at all because I hate herring, doesnt matter if it is fresh, pickled or fermented, not something I enjoy. But if you can over come the smell and eats like the posher surströmming lovers do it isnt worse then stinky cheese.
Dont eat out of date and find a better brand then Röda Ulven ( that is the most common one in horrible surströmming youtube clips).

My mum and dad have it for lunch or dinner , like normal pickled herring.

Welcome CakePoet from another poet! I even teach writing, when my beloved wife lets me out of the kitchen.

But you don't like herring :( I adore it, I grew up around New England where there are lots of Scandinavian types (I think they are naturally drawn to the rocky extremely difficult to work farmland). For us it was cod cod, and more cod. Salted fish just makes me nostalgic...

So every now and then, our local grocery has a good sale on ground beef, huge discount, so I stock up, but it is the 'use today or freeze immediately' thing, because steeply discounted ground beef is quite suspicious. One of the things I do when there is such a beef bonanza (that's an idiom for a lot of beef) is make tons of meatballs, which I put 25 to a ziplock and freeze.

I actually have a recipe for sauce to use with these, and for the meatballs themselves that I use, from my Grandmother who called them Swedish Meatballs. Is this something swedes eat? Or is it something we made up here in the States.

I'd love to hear some Scandinavian recipes from you, hope you like it here. I'm kind of new myself, and a bit of a bore, sometimes unkindly to other posters, and am totally willing to hijack threads for my own thinly veiled but yet mysterious personal agenda, but nobody has really yelled at me yet. I think (and hope) you'll like it here.

I'm so close too to putting metric equivalents in my recipes, I could probably use practice with the math, but who am I kidding, I'd do it on my iPhone.

Hope to have lots of cooking fun talking and exchanging thoughts with you.

TBS

We ate so much herring during winter as kid that I started disliking, I wasnt fond of it to start with but could it it , when I hit 8 I was fed up, refused to eat it. One day fried and breaded and then next day the same fish for lunch but pickled and cold. Hurr.

Swedish meatballs does exist, we have cream gravy and lingon and pickled cucumber with them. Here is picture on the size of them. The smallest is for Smörgåsbord, medium size buffet style/ dinner style and larger dinner style / worker style.

CakePoet, I would be very interested in your authentic Swedish meatball recipe!

I'd go to the Recipes and Ingredients thread, Beef and pork subthread.

Thanks! I grew up in a Lutheran and Methodist community, those church ladies could make some mean Swedish meatballs.

CakePoet, those look awesome!

yeah I can see giving up on herring, reminder of difficult times, I also have some Russian friends that dislike preserved fish, might be seeing a pattern...

If y'all are interested I have a thought of an idea of replacing lindonberries with blueberries, rasberries and lemon.

I will make your recipe my friend, and for once have a honest Swedish meatball.

Replace with cranberries / cranberry sauce , they are similar in flavour and that will be ok with any Swedish recipe asking for lingon.

Why?

Oh by the way, a jam made with raspberries and blueberries is called Queens jam in Sweden

Back
Top Bottom