I would like to eat a pig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erehweslefox

Sous Chef
Sooo...

Beloved Wife is out of town on business until Saturday. I cook for an audience, and it is her. But she is Jewish. I have not had pork in quite some time.

Now I'm not cheating, and believe me we don't keep a kosher kitchen, Dear Wife is also from Maryland, so we had a negotiated agreement with the crustaceans from the start. But yes, she doesn't like eating pork so it is anathema in our diet normally.

and I don't care if you like it, Turkey bacon is NOT THE SAME.

Give me one pork recipe, assume I have a functional kitchen, and I don't want leftovers, so no big island style luau stuff.

Mmmm bacon!

Get one of those little one pound pork tenderloins. Cut slits in it, and put slivers of garlic in the slits. Pour a bit of soy sauce on it, then you can put it in the crock pot with some sliced onions, roast it, or grill it.

Last edited:
Have a BLT for lunch every day. Then have pork pizzaiola: a nice pork shoulder steak braised for an hour or so in oregano-forward pizza sauce. :yum:

Or a big, thick pork loin chop rubbed with salt, pepper, brown sugar, cinnamon and cayenne. Sear it on both sides, pour maple syrup over it and finish in the oven.

Get porkmince and make swedish meatballs !

Or make pork burger, with pork mince, fried apples and onion relish, smoked bacon and well pig out.

Have a BLT for lunch every day. Then have pork pizzaiola: a nice pork shoulder steak braised for an hour or so in oregano-forward pizza sauce. :yum:

Or a big, thick pork loin chop rubbed with salt, pepper, brown sugar, cinnamon and cayenne. Sear it on both sides, pour maple syrup over it and finish in the oven.

That looks really good GG. Two things I would add is to brine that chop for a couple hours. (1/4 cup kosher salt to 4 cups of water)
I'll never eat another pork chop that hasn't been brined or has been cooked to over 145 degrees.

That looks really good GG. Two things I would add is to brine that chop for a couple hours. (1/4 cup kosher salt to 4 cups of water)
I'll never eat another pork chop that hasn't been brined or has been cooked to over 145 degrees.

you are just mocking me on the kosher salt, correct :yum: yeah I'm gonna be eating pork chops/

We use beer or hard cider as part of our brine, about half of the liquid. I also throw in a bit of molasses (could use honey) OR brown sugar (light or dark, whatever's handy).

you are just mocking me on the kosher salt, correct :yum: yeah I'm gonna be eating pork chops/

My Jewish husband just said the same thing :LOL:. No, actually kosher salt measures differently than table salt, so the proportions of salt to water are correct for the brine to be right. ;)
I'm sure glad he eats pork though.

A nice fried ham steak, or go Hawaiian and have some Spam and eggs with a slice of pineapple!

Last edited:

I prefer dry-brining, but I agree with you about the temperature.

Pork tenderloin, pounded thin, pan seared in spices and sauced with an apple brandy cream

OK - I am sharing my husbands FAVORITE dish. I make this about once a year and serve it with mashed potatoes, egg noodles or spatzle. He says he wants this as his last meal.

I learned to make this dish as a student in Normandy and it's surprisingly easy although the cook goes really fast - having everything ready to go stove side.

1 pork tenderloin, cut into 1.5 inch medallions and then pounded out super thin. Buy a small one and you will have very little left over. A typical tenderloin weighs about a pound.

Season and sprinkle pieces on both sides with a blend of

salt, pepper
ground juniper berries
ground caraway or anise seed
minced rosemary (just little)
garlic powder

You can just pound up the spice and salt in a mortar and pestle or wiz up in a coffee grinder - doesn't have to be too fine. All of the above prep can be done well in advance but this next bit needs to be done just before dinner.

Dredge in flour just prior to cooking

Pan sear (really hot) in butter and remove to a serving plate (this goes fast). Turn up the heat on the burner for this - you want them to cook fast and get some nice caramelisation but you don't want the meat to become tough. Typically these will take about 1 minute on each side. You can cook two at a time in a large pan, doing the batch sequentially - they go fast. Set them in a serving platter as you rotate them out of the pan.

Deglaze pan with calvados (apple brandy)and reduce heat.
Add apple puree - about 1/2 cup. The best I've found to use is jarred all natural baby food applesauce. It's very smooth and this is important. It's also important to use unsweetened applesauce - you need the acid tang of the apple to offset the cream.
Add cream - about 1/3 C.
Add juice from resting pork back into pan and re-season with salt and pepper.

Arrange pork on a serving platter and pour sauce over.
Garnish with a bit of chopped parsley or fresh minced sage (or both).

EAT.

Last edited:
My Jewish husband just said the same thing :LOL:. No, actually kosher salt measures differently than table salt, so the proportions of salt to water are correct for the brine to be right. ;)
I'm sure glad he eats pork though.

I just found out that "kosher salt" is not 'kosher' at all but the size of salt used to preserve kosher meats... duh - I guess if I had thought it thru I would have realized. :ermm: :LOL:

Big ol' plate of crispy fried side pork....
Streakolean.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom